Wednesday, August 5, 2020

A Dangerous Ending

Gaius and Terence come in through the back door.

Arthur has made pancakes.

What's prompted Arthur to make pancakes?

We may never know.

Try this honey, says Louisa. It's made by Ligurian bees.

I heard most of their hives were destroyed in the fires, says Gaius.

A lot were, says Louisa, but this is pre-bushfire honey.

Let me see, says Terence. 

You can try it, says Louisa. She gives him some, on a spoon.

Shall we make an early start? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Louisa. If we leave in half an hour we should get to Kingscote by mid-morning.

Excellent, says Gaius. If I remember correctly, it's near Emu Bay.

It is, says Louisa. And I showed you the way. I was just a kid then. 

Did I come? asks Terence.

You did, says Louisa. You made us a poem. 

Right, says Terence. But I've forgotten it.

Emu hey! (says Louisa)
Buzz blow and play
the golden trumpet.
emu emu hey
who likes it?

Me, says Terence. It rhymes. Arthur do you like it?

Is 'Who likes it?' part of it, or a subsequent question? asks Arthur.

I always assumed it was part of it, says Louisa. Which is why it was memorable. I think all poems should end with 'Who likes it?'

Dangerous, says Arthur.

Yuck, says Terence. I don't like this honey. I'm going to give it to Saint Roley. He'll be hungry after his vigil.

How did the vigil go? asks Louisa.

We heard the house creaking, says Terence. The turnip pieces said Arthur was in love with you. Saint Roley said no he wasn't. He said YOU....

Take Saint Roley the honey, says Louisa, looking at Arthur, who is on his fifth pancake. Tell him we're leaving soon.

Indeed, says Gaius. And you might tell Ronnie I won't need his services.

I'll tell him my poem, says Terence. How did it go again?

Emu hey! says Louisa. 

Yes! Who likes it? says Terence.


No comments: