Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Lettuces, See You Shortly

 Road, dirt, grass, view of the coastline.

Occasional trees.

The not very sparkling sea.

Grey boulders. 

Sand.

Seaweed.

Or maybe it isn't.

Are we there yet? asks Terence.

Not yet, says Louisa. But look at the beautiful scenery.

Where? asks Terence.

Gaius draws level. 

Remind me to buy something for indigestion in Kingscote, says Gaius.

Do you have indigestion? asks Louisa.

A touch, says Gaius. Ever since the roast vegetables last night. And yet, there were no tomatoes in the assortment.

No, no tomatoes, says Louisa. I knew you wouldn't eat them.

Did you read the label on the olive oil? asks Arthur, who is behind them, but has excellent hearing.

No, says Gaius. Should I have?

I read it, says Arthur. From memory, it said: fresh grassy aroma, herbaceous with a zest of tomato leaf. 

WHAT? says Gaius. A zest of tomato leaf! No wonder I feel dyspeptic.

It wouldn't be actual tomato leaf, says Louisa. How could it?

Nevertheless, says Gaius, the mystery is solved. Olive oil, with a tomato leaf zest! Who would have suspected?

Me, says Ronnie. I was drizzled with it, remember.

And what did you think? asks Gaius. 

To be honest, says Ronnie, I had other things on my mind. But now you mention it, yes, there was a grassy aroma.

Burp! says Gaius. (He doesn't say it, but rather emits it).

Want me to go on ahead, and bring you back something? asks Arthur.

We're going pretty fast as it is, says Louisa.

Not as fast as I could go, says Arthur.

Thank you Arthur, says Gaius. I appreciate it. Buy lettuces. They have special properties.

Okay, says Arthur. Lettuces. See you shortly.

Soon he is out of sight.

Cycling so fast he doesn't notice the beautiful scenery.


No comments: