Thursday, August 13, 2020

Romance And The Twitcher

 I was joking, says Angelina. 

I thought so, says Kierkegaard. 

It wouldn't have worked anyway, says Angelina. 

True, says Kierkegaard. We didn't know Arthur wouldn't have to pay for his shopping.

So why would we have given Arthur our most expensive items? says Angelina.

No reason, says Kierkegaard.

We'd almost certainly have lost them, says Angelina. He'd be under no obligation to give them back.

They are now at the checkout.

Kangaroo Island coffee beans, Kangaroo Island oysters, Kangaroo Island honey, Kangaroo Island free range eggs, olives, fig jam, sea salt.

The checkout lady looks at Kierkegaard. Does she know him?

No she doesn't.

The total is high.

......

Arthur cycles back down the road with the lettuces and peppermint tea in his back pack.

Birds fly overhead, dropping red and black feathers.

.....

Gaius and Louisa are heading towards him.

They are conversing.

Louisa: Why lettuces?

Gaius: They disperse flatulence, suppress belches and aid the digestion. One must be careful however.

Louisa: What of?

Gaius: The amount is critical. Too much loosens the bowels, a moderate amount causes constipation. 

Louisa: Which do you want to happen?

Gaius: Neither. I shall nibble the leaves as and when I feel a belch coming.

Louisa: You haven't belched for ages.

Gaius: Indeed! That is so! Perhaps I don't need the lettuces.

Louisa: Don't tell Arthur.

Gaius: Arthur will not be annoyed. I had the feeling he wanted to go on ahead of us.

Louisa: So did I. Do you think he likes me?

Gaius: Likes you? Why wouldn't he?

Louisa: I don't know.

Gaius: Arthur usually.... but no, I remember he was great friends with Unni.

Louisa: Who's Unni?

Gaius. Bunny Moon. She changed her name to Unni.

Louisa: Unni Moon? Why?

Gaius: I don't recall. Perhaps it was so she could ride in the men's race. Yes that's what it was. She got away with it too.

Louisa: Where is she now?

Gaius: No idea. She and Arthur helped me return the Twitcher to the Turkish seaport of Kas. I wrote a report on it....


Thus the time whiles away in talk of romance and belches, until...

Arthur appears, speeding towards them. 


No comments: