Saturday, August 1, 2020

Weep For The Lost Part

Night time. On Louisa's verandah. 

There are stars in the sky.

The turnip pieces can see them through the transparent lid.

Words. Blueberries. Only the finest. And higher up, bright stars. 

They wait for the vigil to begin.

Can I sit here? asks Terence. Wait, I need a pillow.

No, you don't, says Saint Roley. A vigil is hard.

Okay, says Terence. I'll stand up. Wait. I need a candle.

No, you don't, says Saint Roley. There are stars.

Can we start? asks Holy Ronnie. 

Certainly, says Saint Roley. Now I want you to be silent and think of the lost things in your life.

I lost my Peruvian hat, in Melbourne, says Terence. I went into a pub and bad people took it.

You're supposed to be silent, says Saint Roley. This is not about you.

Did you ever get it back? asks a small piece of turnip.

I'm not allowed to tell you, says Terence. But am I wearing it? No. That's the answer.

The smallest piece of turnip has got the idea now.

It thinks: I lost a part of myself. I weep for that part. I am not allowed to tell anyone. 

What about you Ronnie? asks Saint Roley.

Is he allowed to talk now? asks Terence.

Yes, says Saint Roley. Enough time has elapsed since we began our silent vigil. 

Woop, says Terence. That means I can talk too.

You had your turn, says Saint Roley. You lost a hat once, which is not even sad.

Terence knows it isn't, because he got another one (and also lost that one; maybe that's sad)

All the turnip pieces are weeping now, because they have remembered the lost parts of themselves.

The blueberry container mists over. The stars fade and falter.

Well, says Holy Ronnie, I've lost height in the time I've existed.

That's natural, says Saint Roley, but I want you to think back to the very beginning.

I was a very long pencil, says Holy Ronnie. And full of ambition

And your name was.....? asks Saint Roley.

The stars shine question marks down on Holy Ronnie. His name was...? 

Not Ronnie! 

Not Ronnie! says Saint Roley. Think back. Who was Ronnie?

Everyone tries to think back, for this is a mystery.

The turnip pieces think back. But it's fruitless.

Terence thinks back, but when the emu wren found Ronnie, he was called Ronnie.

Ronnie thinks back.

Ah-oo-eee-wah!. Once long ago..... (he remembers it now).....his name was 2B.

No comments: