Monday, August 24, 2020

Peelings With Feelings

 Walk with me, Terence, says Saint Roley.

Okay, says Terence. Where are we going?

It doesn't matter where we're going, says Saint Roley. I want a heart to heart talk.

Then let's walk back to Louisa, says Terence.

Why her? asks Saint Roley.

She's got peelings with feelings, says Terence.

I'd like to see them, says Saint Roley, but let's not get there too fast.

Talk, heart, says Terence. My heart is listening.

Saint Roley is moved. Terence has said something encouraging.

So Saint Roley unburdens his heart.

Now that I know why you named me, my life makes more sense, says Saint Roley. And my mistakes too.

Boom boom, says Terence.

What's that? asks Saint Roley.

My heart, says Terence. Two booms for yes.

So that was a yes, says Saint Roley.

Boom, says Terence.

Was that a no? asks Saint Roley.

Boom, says Terence.

Saint Roley forges on. The loss of my brother changed everything. I questioned the Pointing Finger. 

Boom boom, says Terence.

I lost faith, says Saint Roley. Then I realised I had gained something too.

All his stuff, says Terence. 

He didn't have any stuff, says Saint Roley. Only the cardboard, which never re-surfaced.

Boom, says Terence.

I had gained a degree of empathy with others who had lost loved ones.

Me, says Terence. All my parrots. And my pieces of turnip.

Boom, says Saint Roley. If boom means no.

It doesn't, says Terence. Get on with your story.

In time I became over-confident in my abilities, says Saint Roley. I asked too many questions. I thought I had the answers.

Like Baldy's geography homework, says Terence.

BOOM! says Saint Roley. Try to be silent.

Terence attempts to stop booming. 

That is why I went off on my own, several times, to examine my conscience, says Saint Roley.

Terence holds his breath.

And came to the conclusion that I would be better off as simply Roley, says Saint Roley. No more saintly baggage. What do you think?

Pffaaah! explodes Terence. 

What does that mean? asks Saint Roley.

I nearly died then, says Terence. Game over. Let's go.


No comments: