Tuesday, August 30, 2022

A Matter Of Suspension

Belle is preparing to leave, when Nico returns with the carrot.

A canoeist had it, says Nico. The tide's turned, so I've brought it to you.

A canoeist? says Roo-kai. That explains why I couldn't find it. 

But I didn't see the frogs, says Nico. 

Don't worry, says Belle. The frogs have come back.

Including Parsley? says Nico.

Yes, says Belle. 

Here I am, says Parsley. Let's go.

In my pocket? asks Nico.

Pocket is fine, says Parsley.

Goodbye, says Quiet-tartus.

Goodbye Parsley, says the knowlesi. 

Have a good life, says Parsley.

They do have a good life, says Terence.

Not as good as back home, says the knowlesi.

True, says Quiet-tartus. Back home, we're endangered. 

Yes, says the knowlesi. Whereas here, no one knows who we are.

I'm off then, says Nico, dropping Parsley into his pocket. 

She waves to her frog friends, through the hole.

Wait, says Terence. This is for you to put in your Musée.

He hands Nico his sketch of impressionist sausages.

Thanks, says Nico. I'll hang it next to the Sisley.

That would be so cool, says Belle. Wouldn't it Terence?

Yes, says Terence. Can you make it so people can see the back too?

I'm sure I can, says Nico. It's just a matter of suspension.

Yay! says Terence. Everyone will know I'm good at sketching AND bird spotting.

But not writing, says Quiet-tartus.

I'll take care of that, says Nico. Au revoir. Let's keep in touch!

Yes, let's, says Belle. I'll call you when we get to Le Havre.

Carrot! says the carrot.

Time to go.

Nico cycles off towards Rouen, in that direction.

Belle cycles towards Le Havre, with Terence, two frogs and the carrot, in her panier velo.

The frogs bounce up and down on the carrot, which is soon in a very bad way.


No comments: