Monday, August 15, 2022

How Do I Look Embarrassed?

Nico draws level with Belle.

Bonjour! says Nico. Warm day for it.

Sure is, says Belle.

Are you going to Rouen? asks Nico.

Yes, says Belle. We're planning to have lunch there.

We? Yes. The kid in the basket.

Hello, young man, says Nico.

Hello, old man, says Terence.

That's rude, Terence, says Belle.

I must seem old to him, says Nico.  

Not at all, says Belle. Terence is older than he looks.

He reminds me of someone, says Nico.

Probably my friend Baldy, says Terence. 

Baldy was bald, says Belle. You've got lovely curls.

Nico looks at the stiff curls.

No. It couldn't be Baldy. Whoever he was.

But now Nico has spotted the frogs.

Frogs! says Nico. How great that you travel with frogs. This one is a pelodytes punctatus, but these other two are unfamiliar.

Quiet-tartus and the knowlesi, says Terence. My frog team.

Team Romeo-Knowlesi! says Quiet-tartus. 

Merveilleux! says Nico, forgetting to speak English for a moment. 

I've got used to it, says Belle. 

I must tell you of my own strange experience, says Nico. Just a little way back, before I saw you, I encountered two pebbles.

What did they look like? asks Belle. 

One was round with a mark on its head, and the other had two mouths, one open, says Nico. They asked for a lift to Rouen. They are here in my pocket.

Let's see! says Terence.

He leans out of Belle's pannier vélo.

Ha ha. He sees Baby Pierre, peeping out of a hole in the pocket.

You look embarrassed, says Terence.

I'm not embarrassed, says Baby Pierre. How do I look embarrassed?

Because you ARE embarrassed, says Terence. Getting a lift to catch up.

We're not catching up, snaps Baby Pierre.

You just did, says Terence.

Stop it, says Belle. It doesn't matter. Tell Baby Pierre what happened to the carrot.

It's gone, says Terence.

See? says Belle. There was no need for you to run off.

We didn't run off, says Baby Pierre. We're hitch hiking our way to Le Havre.

Is that where you're going? asks Nico. Le Havre?

Yes, says Belle. Because that's where Baby Pierre's going.

What will you do when you get there? asks Nico.

Bring him back I suppose, says Belle. If he wants to.

You are a strange one, says Nico. Not many people would take the trouble to do what you are doing.

True, says Belle.

May I buy you all lunch in Rouen? asks Nico.

We'd love that, says Belle.

I know a place that does great bubble waffles, says Nico.

Mmm! Bubble waffles! says Belle.

They keep pedalling.


No comments: