Tuesday, August 9, 2022

It Was Just An Expression

What will we do now? asks Terence.

We may as well keep going, says Belle.

Just us, says Terence. It'll be lonely.

It won't be lonely, says Belle. I'm sure we'll catch up with them soon.

Who first? asks Terence.

Probably the pebbles, says Belle. But Roo-kai might catch up with the carrot, and bring him back first.

I bet on the carrot, says Terence.

Okay, says Belle. I'll bet on the pebbles. Let's go.

She lifts Terence into her basket and sets off down the lane.

She scans the road for the pebbles.

Terence scans the sky.

Yay! There is Roo-kai!

Roo-kai descends in a flurry, and lands on the rim of the basket.

Where's the carrot? asks Terence. Couldn't you find it?

I found it, but it preferred to stay in the river, says Roo-kai.

How do you know? asks Terence. It can only say carrot.

There are many ways of saying carrot, says Roo-kai.

Like a scream, says Belle. Which I heard, before I dropped him.

How did it scream carrot? asks Terence.

Never mind, says Belle. Tell us how you know it prefers to stay in the river.

For some time I flew above it, says Roo-kai. Then I swooped down. It bobbed away, saying...

Carrot! says Terence.

Yes, says Roo-kai.

Did you ask it why? asks Belle. I feel it's my fault. I said it looked good enough to eat, after I washed it.

Would you like me to go back and explain that is just an expression? asks Roo-kai.

Yes, please, says Belle. 

Roo-kai flies back to the river. Where is that carrot?

There, still bobbing along. 

He flies low above it.

How will he put this?

Dear carrot, says Roo-kai. Will you consider....?

The carrot bobs faster. as it swirls past some rocks.

The water is churning. This is unpleasant.

Reeds! The carrot becomes entangled.

The carrot struggles.

Carrot! cries the carrot.

Roo-kai turns away.

.....

Belle has kept pedalling, assuming she is keeping up with the river. 

Roo-kai has made a similar assumption.

And anyway, from above, he can see her.

He drops down. 

The carrot's stuck in some reeds, says Roo-kai.

Why didn't you resue it? asks Belle.

I thought it would be nicer if you did, says Roo-kai. The carrot would see that you have good intentions towards it.

But what if it thinks I'm rescuing it because want to eat it? asks Belle.

I hadn't thought of that, says Roo-kai. Shall I go back?

No, we'll all go, says Belle.

She wheels her bike down to the reeds. 

From the riverbank, the carrot is not visible, because of the reeds.

From the water side, where Roo-kai has pinpointed the clump of reeds in which the carrot was entangled, the view is the same.

Reeds, but no carrot.  


No comments: