Thursday, July 27, 2023

Continuity On Wheels

Terence is sitting on Gaius's lap.

Feeling better? asks Gaius.

No, says Terence. Can I have my parrot?

Here it is, says David, passing it across to Pierre-Louis. It's a fine piece of work. 

Yes, says Pierre-Louis. Hand-crafted. Does it quack?

It does, says David. But the quack is quite short.

It would last longer if you pulled it along on the floor, says Vello. It needs continuity.

Yes, says David. I only tried it down the length of my leg. Half a leg actually.

That's the trouble with pull-along toys on an aircraft, says Vello.

They're best kept in an overhead locker, says David. But of course, it was up there, and fell out.

Can I HAVE it? asks Terence.

Pierre-Louis who has been examining the craftsmanship, hands it over.

My parrot has wheels, says Terence.

That's how it works, says Gaius, running his hand under the wheels. The two ducks clack together. Clack- clack. 

I might get wheels, says Terence. As soon as my glue sets.

You won't need wheels, says Gaius. My fish glue sets hard.

If I had wheels, says Terence. I could roll everywhere.

But you couldn't ride a pony, says Gaius.

Terence thinks he wouldn't care much about that

He looks at his parrot.

It would be a much better parrot if it was one duck, not two ducks, and didn't have wheels.

The food trolley is approaching.

How is Gaius supposed to pull down his food tray, with Terence on his lap? 

The flight attendant is helpful.

Here is your warm spinach and lemon dahl wrap, says the flight attendant. And your orange juice. What's the little boy having?

Nothing, says Gaius. But is there somewhere he could sit while I eat my luncheon?

Certainly sir, says the flight attendant. Give him to me.

She lifts Terence onto the trolley.

You can give out one of the lunches, says the flight attendant, to Terence.

She wheels him slowly forward.

She stops, and hands Terence a small covered food tray.

Give that little girl her bean croquette, says the flight attendant.

Terence leans sideways with the tray......


No comments: