Friday, July 7, 2023

Stage 7: Mont-de-Marsan to Bordeaux- Pip

It's one for the sprinters.

Mark Cavendish has a plan, which involves winning.

He tries looking relaxed.

Sweezus rolls up behind him.

Good luck today, says Sweezus.

Thanks, says Mark Cavendish. Same to you. 

Got a plan? asks Sweezus.

Yeah, says Mark Cavendish. Sort of. You?

Sit back for a bit, says Sweezus. Try to think up a good rhyme for beans.

Does it have to be plural? asks Mark Cavendish.

I guess not, says Sweezus. 

Bean rhymes with spleen, says Mark Cavendish.  

Yeah, thanks says Sweezus. I'll keep it in mind if I ditch the plural.

They both head to the start point.

Bang! Off they go.

It's flat and it's hot.

Guglielmi attacks early.

No one cares.

Who's that guy? asks Terence, who is standing at the 74 km mark with Marcel the clown.

Guglielmi, says Marcel. 

Is he winning? asks Terence.

No, says Marcel. Here come Latour and Peters. They will pass him, and then I shall not be surprised if they themselves are passed on the streets of Bordeaux....

Then what? asks Terence.

I hadn't finished my sentence, says Marcel.

I know, says Terence. I was trying to make you do two short ones.

I see, says Marcel, well to continue.... but where was I....? 

On the streets of Bordo, says Terence.

Of course, says Marcel. As we all know Mark Cavendish would dearly love to win this stage as it holds great importance to him for several reasons, one being that by winning it he would break a record...

Woo, says Terence. So he's going to GO for it! 

He is, says Marcel. But I predict that Jasper Philipsen is going to pip him.

With a pip? asks Terence.

No, it's a racing expression, says Marcel.

The peloton passes by.

Marcel holds out his giant bottle of funny water.

A few riders nod agreement.

Marcel shakes the funny water bottle with his finger over the nozzle. Then let's it go.

Fizz-spwoosh!

The riders who get showered with funny water give Marcel the thumbs up.

That was the best trick ever! says Terence. Can I learn it?

It is a good trick, and Marcel is pleased that Terence wishes to learn it.

He will be even more pleased when he learns of the fulfilment of his earlier prediction.

Mark Cavendish, perhaps, not so much.


No comments: