Saturday, July 1, 2023

Stage 1: Bilbao to Bilbao - Behind You!

Before the race.

Belle: Take it easy today, guys.

David: We will.

Vello: Don't we always?

Belle: I hope not. How are you feeling, Gaius?

Gaius: Surprisingly energetic. It must be those protein balls I had for breakfast.

Pierre-Louis: And all that coffee.

.....

Not far away, Sweezus is giving last minute instructions.

Sweezus: ....and you drop back to get us our drinks when we need them.

Ranger Roger: Who from?

Sweezus: One of the randoms. We don't have our own guy. Too expensive.

Arthur: I need a drink now.

Sweezus: Go and get one.

Arthur goes off to a clown.

The clown is holding a giant drink bottle.

Hola! says the clown. It's me!

I know it's you, says Arthur. Give me a drink. Is it water?

Funny water, says the clown. Is Terence here? I thought I saw him.

He is, says Arthur, taking a large slurp of funny water.

......

Team UAE is having a last minute pow-wow.

Tadej: The idea is, I come, like, third or something. As long as Vingo's behind

Yates: Good plan, Taddy. Does that mean I can go for it?

Tadej: Yeah you can go for it. And don't get distracted by your twin brother.

Yates: Ha ha! As if!

.....

The teams assemble, for the start in Bilbao. 

Bang. They go off.

It's a bit dull. Not as sunny as we might have expected.

Pedal-pedal. Up hills and down.

....A crash . Who is it? Carapas. Mas is injured.

Arthur is going quite fast. The funny water is working.

Gaius is too. He attributes this to the coffee.

....

The finish. 

Adam Yates and his twin brother Simon ride the last eight kilometers together.

Look behind you! says Simon.

But Adam knows his twin brother and doesn't let himself be distracted


No comments: