Monday, October 25, 2010

The Pocket Watch Part 2

So I thought I'd ask a Scottish cousin, who's father was dad's brother, Sam.

He didn't remember his dad having such a pocket watch, but thought it might belong to someone from a previous generation, because the name Sam cropped up often with the Craigs.

And this is when I got out a magnifier, and identified the manufacturer of the watch: AWW Co. Waltham Mass. This pointed to America. I decided to Google it.

And there I learned that the AWW Co. Waltham Mass. watch was something of a collectors item, and they were manufactured in Massachusetts, between 1860 and 1950. (Or thereabouts. I'm not about to Google it again.)

Are you bored? I'm not bored. Keep reading.

So. The exciting thing was this: If you could open the Waltham Pocket watch and look at the inside workings you would see a serial number and this would date the watch.

They even told you how to open up the watch, using a jar opener. That sounded somewhat bizarre. I decided to open the watch using a man, and got Allan to do it. He opened it, the way men do. The serial number was 6288979. This dated the watch at 1928.

Do you see what that meant?


to be continued.

No comments: