Monday, October 31, 2016

You In The Future

Ying stares up at the Passion Façade on the western side of the Sagrada Familia.

An austere geometrical crucifixion. She looks down at Terence.

Sorry, says Ying. Maybe I shouldn't have brought you.

Why? asks Terence.

That's you in the future, says Baby Pierre.

That's rubbish, says Terence.

I know, says Baby Pierre. But it's you in the future.

A contradiction, says Daniel O'Connell. How can it be him in the future?

It can be, says Baby Pierre. If you know about sculpture. I bet you don't know about sculpture.

No, says Terence. He only knows about dancing. That's the opposite.

Opposite! says Daniel O'Connell. And how is it the opposite?

If you're stuck up with nails, says Terence. Like that guy. No more dancing.

Ha! says Baby Pierre. See. Even Terence gets it.

Even I get it, says Terence. It cannot but be.

Cannot but be, says Baby Pierre. What if you saw a bean?

Terence thinks hard.

It cannot but been, says Terence.

(Terence has mastered the game, in all its complexity).

Cannot but bean, says Baby Pierre. That's good. What about a beetroot?

What's this? says Daniel O'Connell. A game?

Yes, and you're not in it, says Baby Pierre. And you know why.

Daniel O'Connell has forgotten. But now he remembers.

Sorry, Baby Pierre, says Daniel O'Connell. I forgot you in all the excitement. Forgive me.

I'll forgive you, says Baby Pierre, if you let me wear your waistcoat.

What do I get? asks Terence.

Have you guys finished looking? asks Ying.

Yes, says Terence.

Okay, says Ying. Let's go shopping. We'll go to El Corte Inglés. There's a sale on.

Can I get a waistcoat? asks Terence.

Let's see, says Ying, getting out her smart phone. Waistcoat...waistcoat... no kids' waistcoats.... but hey, how about this long sleeved tee? Look what it says on the front. "I'm a morning person". Are you a morning person? And the guy's brushing his teeth. And he's got a mask on. How cool is this tee?

Terence looks at the picture on Ying's smartphone.

He just KNOWS he's a morning person.

Yay! Cannot but be.

No comments: