Friday, December 22, 2017

Thucked-in!

Found Coffs yet? asks Unni, over her shoulder.

Nearly, says Terence. Just keep going.

Unni pulls up.

I said keep going, says Terence.

You're no better than me, says the Magpie.

He's okay, says Unni. I'm stopping to give a lift to this girl.

A girl with ripped shorts, a bamboo tee shirt, and a back pack.

Need a lift? asks Unni.

Yeah, thanks, says the girl. You going to Coffs?

Yep, says Unni. Get in. I'm Unni, and that's Terence in the back with the dog and the magpie.

I'm Lulu, says Lulu. You're not......weird?

No way, says Unni. But hitch hiking's risky.

I know, says Lulu, showing Unni her knife.

Cool! says Unni. How come you're going to Coffs Harbour?

Terence isn't listening. Coffs HARBOUR would have been useful information for the navigator.

He is wafting the air in the back. We must blame Farky's wild beetroot tonic.

Unni opens a window.

Got a job at the Big Banana, says Lulu. Hey, I love your turquoise hair.

Thanks. It's Manic Panic, says Unni.

Where you heading? asks Lulu.

Moreton Bay, says Unni,

You won't get there before midnight, says Lulu. I've booked a cabin at the Banana Coast Caravan Park. Wanna stay over and head off in the morning?

Sure would! says Unni. I love Coffs. Thanks, Lulu. Hear that, Terence?

He still isn't listening. She explains it again.

Yay! says Terence. We're going to The Big Banana!

No, says Unni, just the caravan park, NEAR the Big Banana.

Thucked-in! says Farky.

You too, whispers Terence.

Farky brightens.

The Magpie's eyes glitter. He looks nervous.

Not you, says Terence.

No comments: