Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Problematical Mothers

In the tent above the camper, Shu stirs.

Uurh!

Is it a dream?

He turns on his side.

He moves closer to Arthur.

If he breathes now, Arthur will feel it. He breathes.

Sprocket stirs, feeling warm breath on his neck.

Mother? Mother, I'm bleeding.

It's a dream. His mother caresses his wound. It's only minor. He tells her about his adventures.

Dream Sprocket: I'm in the real Tour de France. You'll be able to watch on the telly.

Dream Mother: No need to watch on the telly. I'll come.

Dream Sprocket (shouting): 'Don't come!'

Shu's eyes snap open.

Ai! It's not Arthur. He's gone.

Shu lies awake for ten minutes, then drifts into his own dream.

In it, his only friend is a spider.

......

Elodie can't sleep. It's cold in the HiLux.

Arthur climbs in, not expecting to see her.

I thought you were sleeping in the camper, says Arthur.

I thought you were sleeping in the rooftop tent, says Elodie.

I was, says Arthur, But I can't sleep between two people.

So why were you in the middle? asks Elodie.

Arthur doesn't answer.

Anyway, says Elodie, if you were up there and now you're out here, you must have noticed I wasn't in the camper.

Didn't register, says Arthur. I was racking my brains over something.

Yeah, what? asks Elodie.

You know what, says Arthur.

I don't, says Elodie.

Not you, says Arthur. Me. Sweezus asked me if he should mention you-know-what to Nietzsche and I said no, don't, but I couldn't actually remember what you-know-what was.

Mm, could be anything, says Elodie. Wow! does he really know Nietzsche?

Yes, says Arthur. Nietzsche rode for Team Philosophe once. Then he came surfing with us at Middleton.

Okay, says Elodie. So you-know-what was something that occurred about then?

Must've been, says Arthur. Surfing-with-Whales was there. So was his mother.

Surfing-with-Whales is a person? asks Elodie. Bet I know what his job is.

One of them, says Arthur. His mother owns a craft shop, and does Reiki.

She sounds awesome, says Elodie. Did she do Reiki on Nietzsche?

Arthur is beginning to remember the story.

The groin injury, the massage, and what followed.

They fell in love? says Elodie. Then he had to go back where he came from? Now he's back and Sweezus wants to know if he should mention it?

Something like that, says Arthur.

It's so romantic, says Elodie.

Arthur yawns.

Have you stopped bleeding? asks Elodie. You shouldn't fight with sticks. Shall I give you a massage?

It's very cold in the HiLux.

Arthur lets Elodie give him a massage.


No comments: