Thursday, June 6, 2019

Science Names Secret Names

Did Baby Pierre pass you? asks third female spider.

Not that I noticed, says Felix. But I was lost in thought. Why?

We need to find him and rejoin our sisters, says third female spider.

Follow the bike tracks, says Felix. See, here they are in the sand. This is where you came off, this is where he kept going.

Thank you, say the three female spiders.

Good luck with being a hermit, says the fourth one, who possibly likes him.

They start walking off.

I'll go with you a little way, says Felix.

Third and fifth female spider follow the bike tracks, through the sand.

Felix and fourth female spider follow third and fifth female spider.

They are talking.

Felix: Have you ever seen yourself in a mirror?

Fourth female spider: No.

Felix: I don't recommend it.

Fourth female spider: Why? Have you done it?

Felix: Yes. Gaius said I looked like a cat, with my ear-like protrusions, but when he showed me my image in a mirror, I looked like a clown.

Fourth female spider: I don't think you look like a clown.

Felix: Is that because you're a maratus felinus?

Fourth female spider: Is that a science name?

Felix: It's a cat name.

Fourth female spider: So is Felix.

Felix: Is it?

Fourth female spider: Yes. It means lucky.

Felix; This gives me hope that you might be.

Fourth female spider: We don't use science names. We have our secret names. Like yours is Felix.

Felix: That's not my secret name.

Fourth Female spider: What is it?

Felix: What's yours?

They whisper their secret names to one another.

We won't pry.

They lag further behind third and fifth female spider.

Shh. We can just hear Felix whispering.

Felix (whispering): Have you ever eaten baked beans?

Fourth female spider: No, have you? Are they yummy?

Felix: So yummy.


1 comment:

Allan Webber said...

Beautifully told- the never ending tale of true love.