Sunday, November 5, 2023

Red Bespoke Hat

Roo-kai has not gone far when he spots a red hat.

It's poking out from under a crusty black rock in the shallows.

He lands near it.

Mm. Shiny black mussels. 

The red hat emerges. Ahoy!

Under the red hat is a lobster.

You look familiar, says the lobster.

So do you, says Roo-kai. At least your hat does.

It's bespoke, says the lobster.

I know a lobster who has one just like it, says Roo-kai. Ageless Lobster.

An old friend of mine! says the lobster. How is he?

Same old, says Roo-kai. At least I suppose so. I haven't seen him lately. And you are...?

Captain Baudin, says the lobster. Sea-captain. 

You must know Gaius, says Roo-kai.

I do, says Roo-kai. He's camping just south of here.

Alors! says Captain Baudin. Now I know why you look familiar. You're the spit of Saint Roley!

Thanks for the compliment, says Roo-kai. He's a hero of mine. 

And what brings you here? asks Baudin.

I'm trying to find out what happened to two young orange-bellied parrots I left in Geelong, says Roo-kai.

You left them in Geelong? says Captain Baudin. What did you do that for?

They were on their way to Tasmania, says Roo-kai. I saw them safely onto the ferry. An albatross promised to meet them in Devonport.

An albatross! says Captain Baudin. Don't you think that was risky?

Mm, says Roo-kai. It promised to point them in the direction of Melaleuca. Not much to ask.

Captain Baudin shakes his head.

His red knitted hat scatters drops over Roo-kai and the mussels.

I could ask around, says Captain Baudin. I have contacts. 

He withdraws, under the crusty black rock.

Crackle crackle.

He emerges.

Did they have nicknames, these parrots?

Tzeets, says Roo-kai.

Captain Baudin withdraws again.

Crackle crackle.

Emerges.

Du Fresne is in the vicinity, says Baudin. He'll make enquiries.

Excellent, says Roo-kai. Shall I wait here for news?

I could do with some company, says Captain Baudin. 

So could I, says Roo-kai. 

He picks at the tiny black mussels.

Help yourself, says Captain Baudin. By the way, what happened to Saint Roley? I've not seen him for ages.

A broken heart, I believe, says Roo-kai. His egg was run over.

Captain Baudin is intrigued.


No comments: