Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Resigned To His Fate

Do we have to come? asks Terence.

I suppose not, says Gaius. You and Captain Baudin can wait here.

I'll supervise Terence, says Captin Baudin.

Thank you, says Gaius. And Roo-kai will be hovering nearby.

I'm sorry about this thing with Du Fresne, says Baudin.

Not at all, says Gaius. You are not Du Fresne's keeper.

Gaius cycles back to Two Wells, to recharge his phone.

Terence is alone with Baudin.

He can't see Roo-kai anywhere. Where is he?

I'm going to look for Roo-kai, says Terence.

No, you're not says Baudin. You'll stay here with me.

You're not my keeper, says Terence.

I am, currently, says Baudin. You're the ship's boy, I'm the captain.

Where's our ship? asks Terence.

Anchored out there at sea, says Baudin.

Is this a pretend? asks Terence.

Yes, says Baudin. A pretend. Go and build me a dinghy.

Okay! says Terence. What with?

Whatever's at hand, says Baudin. Look sharp, boy!

Terence runs off to see what's at hand.

Sticks and prickles, low red and green smelly stuff, pebbles.

No proper wood.

But wait, if it's just a pretend, he will build a pretend dinghy. 

He sets to work gathering sticks and prickles, red and green smelly stuff  and pebbles to go on the top.

No, on the bottom.

The prickles can go on the top. And Baudin can sit on them.

Terence is busy, building the dinghy.

Roo-kai flies down.

What are you doing? asks Roo-kai.

Building a dinghy, says Terence. But there's no proper wood. Where have you been?

I flew back to see Waca, says Roo-kai.

WACA! cries Terence. Where is he?

Where you left him, says Roo-kai. He's a little bit sad.

Where did I leave him? scries Terence. 

Back at Saint Kilda, half-buried , says Roo-kai. I thought you knew that.

NOOOO! cries Terence. Was he crying?

He was resigned to his fate, says Roo-kai. But he appreciated my visit.

Terence feels bad.


No comments: