Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sorted

Right! announced The VeloDrone, walking into the office. Everything's sorted.

Enlighten me, said Le Bon David, looking up from his pile of correspondence.

We're going back to Adelaide! said The VeloDrone. The Festival and Fringe start today. Pack your bags.

Adelaide! sniffed Le Bon David. We've only just been there for the Tour Down Under. And what did we get out of that? Not very much.

This will be different! enthused The VeloDrone. This time we've been invited.

Invited? By whom?

By the Premier himself. It's election time. Remember how he invited Lance Armstrong to the Tour Down Under, to make himself more popular?

Yes, said Le Bon David, and Armstrong was paid lots of money. Don't tell me they're going to pay us to come?

Not exactly, said The VeloDrone. But they're going to pay our fares. All we have to do is keep a high profile.

Le Bon David whistled admiringly. How did you wangle that?

I explained to them who we were. We are David Hume the famous Scottish empiricist, I said, and Voltaire, the brilliant French polemicist, two of the most famous philosophers of the Enlightenment. We are willing, I said, for a small fee, to attend and lift the tone of your Festival and Fringe. And, as an added bonus, we will be bringing our bicycles.

But they knocked back the idea of the small fee?

Well, yes as such, but they've allocated us a small tent in the Garden of Unearthly Delights, and they say we can charge admission.

Brilliant! And have you thought what we might do in this tent? Lecture on philosophy? Perform bicycle tricks?

Hmmmm. A mixture of both, I thought. Unless you have any other ideas?

I'm positively brimming with them. Did you know I do quite passable impressions?

No! Who do you do?

Oh the fat ones in comedy duos mostly, Lou Costello, and Oliver Hardy for instance.

David, you surprise me! I too, have a comedic bent. This is exciting! Perhaps we can work something up.

No comments: