Saturday, February 13, 2010

Waiting for Cotto

A country road. A tree. Two tramps, sitting on a low mound.

Estragon; Let's go!

Vladimir: We can't.

Estragon: Why not?

Vladimir: We're waiting for Godot.

Estragon: Excuse me? Did you say we're waiting for Cotto?

Vladimir: Godot! Godot!

Estragon: Because if we're waiting for Cotto, you've sent the wrong order. We wanted a Godfather, remember?

Vladimir: Don't worry, trust me, there won't be any Cotto, not today, not ever.

Estragon: How can you be sure?

Vladimir: We ordered a Godfather, and Godot will bring it.

Estragon: We ordered one yesterday. He didn't come yesterday.

Vladimir: True. Perhaps he went to pick it up. And it was covered in Cotto. So he declined to pay for it. And as a consequence of that, he had nothing to bring us, and so he didn't come.

Estragon: Well reasoned! That will be what happened. But....

Vladimir: What now?

Estragon: The same thing might happen today. And I'm hungry.

Vladimir: You're twice as hungry.

Estragon: Yes, I'm twice as hungry. I could even eat Cotto.

Vladimir: Are you sure? Do you know what it is?

Estragon: No, but I don't like the sound of it. What is it? No, don't tell me.

Vladimir: I won't.

Estragon: You don't know.

Vladimir: Nobody knows. But some people like it.

Estragon: Can we get a message to Godot? Tell him we're hungry?

Vladimir: No, we must wait till he comes.

Estragon: When is he coming? He didn't come yesterday. I'm tired of this. Shall we go?

Vladimir: Yes, let's go.

They do not move.

No comments: