Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Blithe and Thrifty Marygold

My dream continued:

How does it go exactly? I asked Jesus.

The Lily, white in blossom there, is Chastity, the Violet, with sweet perfume, Humanity,
he crooned.

There you see, I said, that's where I have an issue. This is an old Dutch carol written in 1633. Humanity would not have had a pleasant smell.

You know, you're right! said Jesus. I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps I've been mishearing it all these years. But what else could it be?

I don't know, what does it sound like? How about Humility?

Humility! Yes! The humble Violet! That'll be it. I wonder what it is in Dutch?

And Jesus began humming happily again.

The bonny Damask-rose is known as Patience, The blithe and thrifty Marygold, Obedience...

Obedience! I interjected rudely.

( It was a dream. I'm usually quite polite. )

Now what? he asked.

The Marigold does whatever it likes, at least it does in our garden, I said. How does it represent obedience?

It was named after my mum, explained Jesus. When she was younger, he added.

No comments: