Friday, September 10, 2010

Famous Last Words.

The people in the Elder Hall were waiting for the Lunch Hour Concert to begin. Two men were chatting. One of them was going on holiday to South America. Soon they got on to the topic of Scott of the Antarctic.

They didn't remember the whole story but they remembered it in parts. I am put in mind of the famous words of Titus Oates, said one.

Oh yes, said the other. I know.

He said, continued the first man, I'm going out and I may be some time.

They both agreed that it had been a noble suicide.

Then, the music began.

Then, the music ended.

Everyone filed out, except for me and my mum.

A blue bag lay under the seat in front. A flat blue bag with words printed in white on one side: Walk Against Want 2004.

I picked it up and placed it on top of the seat.

Who was sitting there? we asked each other. We couldn't remember.

He was next to a woman in a red coat, said my mum.

So he was, I said.

An old man came back along the row and picked up the bag. Titus Oates. He had been quite some time.

Getting old, he smiled.

No comments: