Thursday, October 15, 2015

Karma, Or Not Getting Your Own Back

Sometimes we know something isn't going to happen.

Like the bird remains on Katherine's trainers. No way they will come good.

None the less, something is owing.

.........

Stay here, Katherine, says Unni. I'll go back to the ute for some shoes.

That's kind, dear, says Katherine, sinking onto a grass tuft. What a morning!

Yes, WHAT a morning! agrees Doctor Wallenius. The new species of funnel web spider was within my grasp, but was eaten at the last moment by a pair of critically endangered Eastern Bristlebirds. I suppose you could call it Karma.

I suppose so, says Katherine. I wonder what the Bristlebirds would call it.

They have no reason to call it anything, says Doctor Wallenius. Their situation's unchanged.

Except they have eaten a poisonous dinner, says Ray.

I doubt the venom will affect them adversely, says Doctor Wallenius

The Bristlebirds in their leafy tree smirk at one another.

Their digestive systems cope reasonably well with such things, adds Doctor Wallenius. A mild tummy upset, maybe.

Mr Bristlebird clenches his sphincter. Nothing doing.

Yeah, says Sweezus, it is kind of like Karma.

I just said so, says Doctor Wallenius.

I meant for the Bristlebirds, says Sweezus. They attacked Katherine.

That was AFTER, says Katherine.

After what ? asks Doctor Wallenius.

After she TREADED on their babies, says Keanu. Look at her trainers!

Trod, says Sweezus. Trod on their babies.

I wasn't going to mention it, says Katherine, but yes I did tread on their babies. I feel dreadful.

Is that what this mess is? asks Doctor Wallenius, picking at the dried bird flesh and squashed strings of baby eye nerves on Katherine's trainers.

Yes, says Katherine. I don't suppose you could extract DNA and clone them?

No, says Doctor Wallenius. That is not the procedure we follow with critically endangered species.

The Bristlebirds look at one another. What is cloning?

And what about Karma?

Unni comes back with tissues, and a spare pair of shoes.

Thanks Unni, says Katherine.

So, were they Eastern Bristlebirds? asks Unni.

Oh yes, says Doctor Wallenius. Pity we didn't get a photo.

Does anyone know what their bristles are for? asks Unni.

I know what mine are for, says Sweezus.

IDIOT, says Unni. I mean the birds' rictal bristles.

I know! says Keanu, the smart arse.

I bet you don't, says Doctor Wallenius. Because nobody does. But there are several theories.

The Bristlebirds prick open their ear holes.

At last, some enlightenment.

Maybe it's Karma.

The thing that was owing.

No comments: