Thursday, October 22, 2015

Schrodinger's Box

It's only half an hour's drive back to Nowra.

Ray drives the ute, with Katherine beside him.

 Sweezus and Unni sit in the back, with the red box.

Sweezus kicks the red box.

What did you do that for? asks Unni.

See if they're alive in there, says Sweezus.

Did you hear anything? asks Unni. I didn't.

Sweezus kicks the box again. If anything it is even more silent.

This is like Schrodinger's box, says Unni.

Schrodinger's box had a cat in it, says Sweezus.

Yes, but this is like it, says Unni, because we don't know if the birds are dead or alive till we open the box.

If it had a cat in it, says Sweezus, we'd know. They'd be cactus.

I agree that would be likely, says Unni. But remember, there's a python in there.

Not a real one, says Sweezus.

But the cat doesn't know that, says Unni.

It would if it looked under my shorts, says Sweezus.

Now you're being disgusting, says Unni.

Come on, says Sweezus. My OLD shorts! The ones the Bristlebirds are wrapped in.

Maybe we should check on them, says Unni. Shall I open the box?

No way, says Sweezus. Leave the lid on.

......

Inside the red box:

Mrs Bristlebird: Schrodinger..... Schrodinger....

Mr Bristlebird: Ah yes. The cat in the box paradox. Do you know it?

Mrs Bristlebird: I do. I wonder if they are wondering if we are alive or dead in this box.

Mr Bristlebird: Probably. We should keep very quiet.

......

In the cabin:

Ray: He looks reasonably respectable, in that outfit.

Katherine: The shorts are quite tight.

Ray: I was thinking more of the top half. Do you think he has feelings for Unni?

Katherine: What a question. Of course he does. She's a lovely girl and so clever.

Ray: I never thought of them in that light before, but the more I think about it....imagine if they were to marry and have children.......

Katherine: Ray, I never realised you were such a romantic!

Ray: It's not that, but I could put up with .....imagine being the grandfather of......it would do wonders for my congregation.....

Katherine: Ray, it's not all about you.

Ray: No, of course not. It was just a notion. He's not going to change his spots anyway.

Katherine: Nothing wrong with his spots.

Ray: Katherine. He has abducted an endangered species.

Katherine: So have we, Ray.

Ray: It's nothing to do with me.

Katherine: Who do you think will end up with those birds, Ray? Who has a bird cage?

Ray: Not me.

Katherine: Then what is that cage in your back garden?

Ray: Oh that, that's for exorcis......never mind. Ah, here we are in Nowra!



No comments: