Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A Little On The Big Side

Belle is on her way back to Gaius's house.

She carries a red cardboard box.

Inside the box are :

1. Daniel O'Connell.

2. His holiday outfits.

3. A monkey and a squirrel (Sylvanian daddies, wearing the outfits).

Daniel O'Connell is pointedly ignoring the daddies.

They are forced to converse with themselves.

I don't believe we've met, says Monkey Daddy.

Cedric Walnut, says the Squirrel. Carpenter.

Geoff Darwin, says Monkey. Botanist.

Nice outfit, observes Cedric Walnut.

So is yours, says Geoff Darwin. I believe our outfits are the reason we were selected.

Ha ha. Selected, says Cedric. Good one, Darwin. Any idea what for?

You've got me there, says Geoff Darwin. I hope it's a short term thing. I've got to get back to my family.

Me too, says Cedric Walnut.

Clunk.

The box is clunked down on a table, and opened.

Daniel O'Connell is lifted out.

The daddies hear various voices.

Belle's voice: Well, that was reasonably successful.

Sweezus's voice: What'd you get?

Daniel O'Connell's voice: Two outfits, a little on the big side.

Gaius: I hope they have enough leg holes.

Daniel O'Connell: Holy shit! Leg holes!

Belle: That's something we didn't think of.

Ying: Two outfits. Twice the holes.

Arthur: You're good at maths.

Ying: Thank you, Arthur.

Daniel O'Connell: Ying. How goes the crowd funding?

Ying: Exceedingly well. You have over one hundred thousand dollars.

Daniel O'Connell: And where is it?

Ying: In an account. I'm the administrator. And by the way. I've finished my Masters, so I'll be able to come to the Canaries with you. How good is that?

Daniel O'Connell: Hm. Who else thinks they're coming?

Sweezus: Us. Me and Arthur.

Gaius: And I. It's an excellent opportunity....

Kong Fu-Zi: And I have been invited along as the official recorder.

(We know this is not true exactly)

Daniel O'Connell: That will cost a lot of money.

Ying: Don't worry. You have plenty.

Belle: You'll be glad to know I'm not going. Someone has to stay back in the office.

Kong Fu-Zi: Let's see these outfits. Are they Hawaiian?

At last, someone looks into the box.

Gaius looks too.

Belle lifts the daddies out, and starts stripping their clothes off.

It's a fiddly job.

While she does it, the daddies stand stiffly.

No comments: