Monday, October 10, 2016

The Cautious Seldom Err

Belle has dragged Daniel O'Connell to men's clothes shops all over the city.

No one has had anything small enough for Daniel O'Connell.

Right, says Belle. I'm sorry. Last chance. We're going to Toy World.

Toy World, grumbles Daniel O'Connell. Am I a toy now?

Of course not, says Belle. It's a special shop for Toys AND World Travellers. Toy/World.

They go up in a lift to the Toy/World.

I'm looking for small items of clothing, suitable for a spider going on holiday, says Belle.

Hmm, says the assistant (Julie). That'll be difficult.

He's going to the Canaries, says Belle. So, summery clothes would be best....

I'm thinking.... Sylvanian Families, says Julie. But even then, your spider is awfully small. Come over here. I'll show you our range.

Toy/World has a whole shelf Sylvanian characters. Belle lifts Daniel O'Connell up to look.

He inspects the Rabbit Family, the Squirrel Family, the Hamster Family, the Hedgehog Family and the Monkey Family.

The Monkey Family is new, says Julie.

Do you like any of their clothes? asks Belle.

Yes, says Daniel O'Connell. I like Daddy Monkey's trousers.

Daddy Monkey is wearing red trousers, a yellow shirt and an orange and black check waistcoat with green buttons

Way too big, says Julie. What about one of the babies' outfits? They're cute. Baby Hedgehog has  blue dungarees, with a sweet white lace collar.

Ahem, coughs Belle. I don't think so.

I should certainly not think so, shouts Daniel O'Connell. Can't you see I am in the full flower of my maturity! The countryside teems with my........

Shoosh, says Belle. No need to boast about it. Do you like Daddy Squirrel's check khaki trousers and yellow waistcoat?

Yes, mutters Daniel O'Connell. I like them well enough. I'll have both outfits. Let's be going.

You have to buy the whole family, says Julie.

We just want the daddies, says Belle.

Can't do it, says Julie.

Belle pays Julie for the Monkey and Squirrel Sylvanian Families, opens the boxes and takes out the daddies.

Do what you like with the mummies and children, says Belle.

Okay, shrugs Julie.

It seems cruel.

Belle and Daniel O'Connell leave Toy/World, only part-satisfied with their shopping.

As for the daddies, they have no idea what's in store.

........

Back at Gaius's house, a discussion:

Gaius: I suppose you boys have heard about the crowdfunding.

Sweezus: Yeah.

Gaius: And you've come to offer your services.

Arthur: Not necessarily.

Kong Fu-Zi: The cautious seldom err.

Sweezus: That's a good one.

Gaius: I've decided to accompany Daniel O'Connell to the Canaries. I'm responsible for him. And I should like to take the opportunity to make a study of the Scarlet Darter, and the Robber Fly.

Kong Fu-Zi: Do you need a recorder?

Gaius: You mean you?

Kong Fu-Zi: To go beyond is as wrong as to fall short.

Gaius What the dickens does that mean?

Kong Fu-Zi: It means yes, I accept.

Ding Dong!

It's Ying.

Ying: Hello everyone. Good news. The total has now reached one hundred thousand. Oh! Arthur!

Arthur: Ying.

Ying: How lovely to see you again. Do you remember...?

Arthur: Err. Yes.

Ying: The bad news is that it's a hell of a lot of postcards.

Sweezus: Postcards?

Gaius: A free gift of a postcard was promised to every sponsor.

Sweezus: Coolio! How many are there?

Ying: One hundred thousand divided by ten.

That can be our job, says Arthur.

No comments: