Sunday, October 2, 2016

How Far A Spider Will Go

Ying is having dinner at Ding Hao with her friend Li Feng.

They order a bowl of steamed dumplings, as a starter.

She does not yet know she has a fossilised clam in her handbag.

......

Ageless is travelling home on the bus, with Margaret.

I'm sure she'll turn up, says Margaret.

That's what I'm afraid of, says Ageless.

He imagines the scene.

Kobo: Ageless, you bully, you NUDGED me!

Himself: I...clik....urg....rrr.

Kobo: I shall not speak to you again, for...mmmnnnn...... AGES!

Himself: But beloved, I did not mean to, it was because I could not follow the improv!

Kobo (frowning): ............!

The bus stops. Ageless skitters off the bus.

Margaret continues to her stop, which is further.

......

Ageless arrives at Gaius's door.

How was it? asks Gaius. You look grim. Where is Kobo?

Grr.....chh! Lost! grumbles Ageless.

What has happened? asks Kong.

Kobo is lost, says Gaius. That makes three of them.

Who else is lost? asks Ageless lobster.

Baby Pierre and Daniel O'Connell, says Gaius. They failed to return from the boating party.

Ageless is stopped in his tracks.

He turns pale, and unwraps his long scarf with tassels.

His eye stalks wave wildly.

Cup of tea? asks Kong Fu-Zi. Rooibos?

I can recommend it, says Gaius.

Cliiiiik, says Ageless. No tea thanks. Lost! Baby Pierre and Kobo ! My child and my beloved! I blame this on Daniel O'Connell!

.......

Baby Pierre and Daniel O'Connell are with Tullio, in his apartment.

Tullio is giving them tips on How to Apply for Research Funding.

First, says Tullio, decide what you need money for.

That is easy, says Daniel O'Connell. I need money for tickets.

No good, says Tullio. You must explain the research you will be doing and its impact.

That is harder, says Daniel O'Connell.

Not harder, says Baby Pierre. It requires more thinking.

Correct! says Tullio.

Daniel O'Connell is cross. Why does Baby Pierre get the credit?

Next he will be coming up with a proposal.

Daniel O'Connell thinks fast.

My research, says Daniel O'Connell, will be an investigation, into the Black Jumping Spiders of the Canaries.

Into them? says Tullio. That doesn't sound very specific.

Into their biting, says Baby Pierre.

For what purpose? asks Tullio.

To see if they do, says Baby Pierre.

I think that is known already, says Tullio. The ARC will not be interested in that. Let me tell you the sort of thing that gets spider research funding.

Go ahead, says Daniel O'Connell.

A recent study found that male redback spiders evade being cannibalised by mating with immature females, says Tullio.

Who would believe it?

Daniel O'Connell can't believe it. Neither can Baby Pierre.

No comments: