Thursday, October 20, 2016

Suddenly Blessed

Yes I have a map, says Edith, bible dropper.

Can I see it? asks Baby Pierre.

It is on a yellowed and much-folded piece of paper, tucked into the bible.

Routes to Santiago de Compostela.

Useless, says Baby Pierre.

Edith is crushed.

That's all right, says Baby Pierre. I just need a companion. Are you religious?

Oh yes, says Edith, her face lighting up with the answer. Are you.....the spirit of Saint Peter?

Pooh, no, says Baby Pierre. I just asked because you've got a bible. Why has it got ribbons in it?

Those are my readings for today, says Edith. Do you know Jesus?

Jesus, no, course not! I'm a..... yes, wait .....I do! He calls himself Sweezus and that's because I made the name up.

Edith's hand flies up to her face. What is this blasphemy?

He's going to Barcelona as well, continues Baby Pierre, and he forgot me. Well, it was Daniel O'Connell who REALLY forgot me. Do you know Daniel O'Connell?

No, says Edith.

That's all right. No one does, says Baby Pierre.

Silence.

Edith wonders if it would be all right to drop Baby Pierre in the waste bin.

He is obviously not Saint Peter.

There they are! says Baby Pierre.

Sweezus, Gaius, Kong and Terence trail by, on their way to business class boarding.

Sweezus, in his newly washed boardshorts, Kong in his Hawaiian shirt and drop crotch trousers, Gaius in chinos and Crocs. Terence in a sunhat.

You know them? asks Edith.

NO! says Baby Pierre. Especially not THAT one!

He is pointing at Terence, who has unfairly been given a sunhat.

Edith thinks that she recognises Terence, under the sunhat.

As a Christian, she should do.

A cherubic cement baby Jesus, travelling with three grown men.

Edith is not fooled by the sunhat.

Something is going on here, and yes! Baby Pierre has denied it

He MUST be Saint Peter.

What a wonderful start to the Pilgrimage.

Edith feels suddenly blessed.

She smiles down at Baby Pierre.

Will you travel with me? says Edith. At least as far as Barcelona. I am flying economy, but I know you won't care about that.

I don't care about that, says Baby Pierre. As long as I get there.

I have so many questions to ask you, says Edith.

Baby Pierre feels confident that whatever they are, as an atheist and free thinker, he'll have the answers.




No comments: