Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Disappointed Virgin

Saint Joseph recognises Terence immediately, without the sunhat.

He knits his brow, grabs a nail from his toolkit, and a carpenter's pencil.

Paper, he snarls.

The Virgin always has paper.

Watch out! cries Ying.

Sweezus picks up the nail, and unwraps the paper. Reads:

You, kid. Get up here at once!

Sweezus shows it to Arthur.

What do you reckon?

He wants the Mighty Atom, says Arthur.

Oh no he doesn't! says the Mighty Atom. He's never liked me.

HE'S NEVER LIKED ME! shouts Terence. I'm not going.

Well, I'm not going, says the Mighty Atom. I'm off to fight robots.

So who's going? asks Ying. Everyone's waiting.

It's true. The entire crowd has been following the drama, and is waiting.

Send that one, says someone. He looks the part. Cute as a button. I'd worship that one.

He is pointing at Terence.

Waah! cries Terence.

What will happen?

Suddenly the Rooibos box opens.

Send me! cries Daniel O'Connell. Don't I have the finest sweet words like the scent of apples?

No, says Arthur. That was the real Daniel O'Connell.

We'll go, says Geoff Darwin, won't we, Cedric?

Absolutely, says Cedric Walnut. I'm a carpenter by trade. I'd be quite keen.

OKAY! cries the Mighty Atom. I'll give you a lift up. But I'm not staying.

Tucking the Rooibos box under his arm, he flies up to the Holy Family, and dumps the red box in front of Saint Joseph, ably dodging a whack with a hammer.

What's this? roars Saint Joseph.

Even the Virgin looks mildly interested. Is it tea, dear? That African tea? I wouldn't mind a ....

No, cries Daniel O'Connell, emerging. It is I, Daniel O'Connell.

And Geoff Darwin, says Geoff Darwin. Botanist. I do admire your floral decorations.

And I'm Cedric Walnut, says Cedric Walnut. Carpenter. You have a great place here.

You don't say, says Saint Joseph, disarmed.

I want you to let Terence go, says Daniel O'Connell.

Who's Terence? asks Saint Joseph.

Your little one, says Daniel O'Connell. I'm surprised at you, for not knowing!

Is that the name he goes by? says Saint Joseph. Typical. An African slave.

He's not stopping, says Daniel O'Connell. He's on his way to the Canaries, with me.

You seem like a reliable type of fellow, says Saint Joseph. Go then, but these two are staying with me, until you return from the Canaries with MY WIFE'S BABY.

The Virgin looks pained.

That's fine by us, says Geoff Darwin. We'll be happy to stay.

Yes, we will, says Cedric Walnut. So much to see here.

Deal, says Daniel O'Connell looking around for the Mighty Atom, to give him a lift down.

But the Mighty Atom has already zoomed off to fight robots.

Daniel O'Connell, liberator extraordinaire, words sweet as apples, checked waistcoat, green tinted legs, is not bothered.

A spider can let himself down.


No comments: