Thursday, December 8, 2016

DNA Means You Can't

Come inside, says Maricruz. And bring the spiders.

They all traipse inside.

The kitchen smells of hot chocolate and donuts.

Well, says Maricruz. Are the spiders related?

We are not related, says Daniel O'Connell. We're in total agreement on that.

Yes, says White Slits. We're unrelated.

On what grounds do you base that opinion? asks Gaius.

DNA, says Daniel O'Connell. It's private.

I shall get to the bottom of this, says Gaius.

DNA, says White Slits. That means you can't.

DNA doesn't mean you can't, says Nina. It means the opposite.

You can, says Terence.

You can't. That's the opposite, says Feebee.

Are you still here? says Maricruz. Go up to bed, Feebee.

DNA, says Feebee. I can't.

Why not? asks her grandma.

DNA, says Feebee.

Now you're just being naughty, says Maricruz.

I'll take her, says Nina. Come on Feebee.

Can Terence come with me? asks Feebee.

No! says Terence.

We can play, whispers Feebee.

What? asks Terence.

You be the baby, says Feebee. I'll be the mummy. I'll cuddle you.

This is tempting.

But Terence isn't allowed to go upstairs with Feebee and Nina.

He plonks himself down on the floor.

So, says Gaius, our quest must continue.

Where will you go? asks Maricruz.

Gran Canaria, says Gaius. I believe a new endemic lineage of the spider genus loxosceles has been found there.

There? says Maricruz. Are you certain? There are loxosceles right here.

No, no, says Gaius. I read about the new lineage in Science Daily. They're not the same as the presently recorded L. rufuscens, a species which was probably introduced here by humans.

Suit yourself, says Maricruz. No doubt your crowd-funded escapade will stretch to a ferry ride.

Jumping Jupiter! says Gaius. That reminds me. We must contact Ying!

Ying has all the money, explains Baby Pierre.

And where is Ying? asks Maricruz.

On the west coast says Gaius. Surfing.

With Sweezus and Arthur? says Terence. I wish I could go surfing.

You'd sink, says Baby Pierre.

Nina comes back.

I found out what Feebee thinks DNA means, says Nina.

What? asks her grandma.

Do not ask, says Nina.

Pfftt! Who doesn't know that? says Terence.

No comments: