Friday, December 30, 2016

I Know It's Not Banana

Arthur knocks. Ying opens.

Where've you been? asks Ying.

Nowhere, says Arthur.

Well, Terence turned up with the  parrot. They thought we had presents. How come they thought that?

It's not my fault if you didn't have presents, says Arthur. It was Sweezus's birthday as well.

Yeah, we know that, says Ying. It doesn't matter. But the plans have changed now.

Let me guess. Has Gaius gone to Caldera de Banana? asks Arthur. Who'd he take with him?

Terence, says Ying. That's his present. And it's not Banana.

Arthur knows it's not Banana. But he feels light in the head.

Where's Sweezus? asks Arthur.

He went with them, says Ying. It's you, me and Kong now. And they left the spider, and Baby Pierre, but I'm not sure where he is....

What sort of a present is that? mumbles Arthur.

It's not your present, says Ying. We'll just make the best of it. How about in the morning, we all go shopping?

I never go shopping, says Arthur.

For postcards, says Ying. Remember?

Arthur does remember.....how could he forget......he keeps on being reminded.

He flops down on a white couch thing, and crashes....

Ying goes back to bed.

Kong blows out his simple candle....only kidding....

Outside in the blue spangled palm tree, the Pesquet parents are sleeping.

But earlier, before all this happened, this happened.

Terence and the young Pesquet had found Hotel Parque. Had asked at reception. Had learned Gaius' room number. Had gone up the stairs, because the Pesquet won't travel in lifts. Had stomped on a couple of spiders. Had knocked on the door.

Gaius had opened.

Terence! says Gaius. And what's this? A Psittrichas fulgidus!

My parrot, says Terence. Where's Sweezus? Has he got my present?

Our present, says the Pesquet.

Sweezus! calls Gaius. Do you have presents?

Sweezus comes out of the bathroom. Terence! Good to see you! No, no presents.

Wah! says Terence. Arthur SAID.

Terence weeps loudly, overdoing it. The Pesquet looks embarrassed.

Where is Arthur? asks Gaius.

Sitting on a thing, sniffs Terence.

I can't wait around for Arthur, says Gaius. And I'm not taking Kong to Caldera de Bandama.

Thank you, dear friend, says Kong. I had no intention of going.

So Sweezus will come with me, says Gaius. And Terence may come too, as a compensatory present.

And me, says the Pesquet.

Certainly, says Gaius. Is everyone happy?

Everyone looks reasonably happy, other than Sweezus.

No comments: