Sunday, December 18, 2016

The Non-Sticky Reasoning Behind Evolution

They go to a nearby café for lunch.

I'll order, says Pesquet's parrot.

And pay? asks Nina.

Money a problem? asks the Pesquet.

Not really, says Nina, We're covered by crowd funding. But this person called Ying has the money.

Crowd funding for what? asks the Pesquet.

Long story, says Nina. You go order.

The Pesquet goes up to the counter and orders a large serve of ripe figs.

Right, says the Pesquet, on returning. For what?

Shit! says Nina. I just remembered! I'm supposed to take photos of the rescue.

Don't tell me I'm part of the project! says the Pesquet.

Not really, says Nina. Ask Terence. Looks like your order is ready. I'll get it.

She walks off to the counter to get it.

Well? says the Pesquet. What's the project?

Daniel O'Connell, says Terence.

He's a spider, says Feebee. Do parrots eat spiders?

I don't, says the Pesquet. I eat mainly figs. Sometimes I eat flowers.

Feebee doesn't believe he eats flowers.

Nina returns with the figs.

Are these for all of us? asks Nina, plonking the plate down.

Yes, dig in, says the Pesquet.

You first, says Nina.

The Pesquet plunges his bald face into the biggest and splurtiest fig.

Splurt!

Terence is covered with sticky fig seeds.

Yerk! He hates his new parrot already.

You're not even sticky! says Feebee.

I AM! says Terence.

I mean the parrot, says Feebee.

This is why I have bald features, says the Pesquet. Evolution has provided me with the means to never have to wash my face after dinner.

Feebee loves this form of reasoning.

She is too young to take it further.

(She also has a bald face, in a manner of speaking. But she does have to wash her face after dinner).

Now for the nitty gritty, says the Pesquet. How to free the bicycle-slaves?

You could try and infiltrate, says Nina. But you do stick out, with your red wings and trousers.

I'll do it, says Terence. I don't stick out.

I bet you can't ride a bicycle, says Feebee.

I'd be learning, says Terence. Then when I get home I could go in the races, like Baby Pierre.

Is he a parrot? asks the Pesquet.

No, he's a pebble, says Terence. He's got his own bicycle with O-rings. He goes fast and sometimes he makes people fall off. Then they don't win the races. It's funny.

Feebee thinks it would be very funny.

What races? asks the Pesquet.

Tour Down Under, says Terence. Gaius goes in it. So do Sweezus and Arthur. They never win.

I didn't know that, says Nina.

I did, says Terence.

So, if I allow myself to be rescued.... says the Pesquet.

AFTER you learn to ride a bicycle, says Terence.

Okay, after, says the Pesquet. Assuming I am not detected...

Golly. This sounds like a plan.

Everyone digs into the remaining figs on the fig plate.

Nina gets out her phone, to take a few photos.

No comments: