Monday, December 5, 2016

The One Who's Done Everything

Where did they go? asks Gaius.

To the bus stop, says Baby Pierre.

Follow them, Kong, says Gaius. Find out where they're going.

Kong ambles off down the drive, and bumps into the Rector.

Leaving already? asks the Rector.

No, says Kong. Just tailing the spiders.

Plural? says the Rector.

Long story, says Kong. There's a female, name of White Slits. They ran off together. Oh damn! There goes the bus.

Don't tell me they're catching a bus! says the Rector.

Baby Pierre thought so, says Kong. That bus, you don't happen to know where it's going?

It's the Santa Cruz bus, says the Rector. By the way, how did you go with the solvent?

Didn't need it, says Kong. White Slits used her own spittle.

Well, well, says the Rector. Her own spittle. And the red blob came off?

It did, says Kong. It's there under that tree, rolled out like a leg, only longer.

They stroll back to the tree.

Any luck? asks Gaius.

They're on the bus to Santa Cruz together, says Kong.

I could have told you that, says Baby Pierre. And I know where they'll go when they get there.

Smart arse, says Terence.

I'm the one who's done everything, says Baby Pierre. I found a Jumping Spider, and I brought her to the University. And I'm the only one who knows where she's going, now she's escaped.

She's escaped with Daniel O'Connell, says Gaius. We must go straight away to Santa Cruz.

I should be going inside, says the Rector. Paperwork and so on.

Yes, of course, says Gaius. I didn't expect a lift. How often does the bus run?

I'm not sure, says the Rector, But Diego might give you a lift. He's got Silbo classes this evening. Why don't you pop in and ask him?

You go, Kong, says Gaius. You have a wheedling way with you.

Thank you, Gaius, says Kong. That is the first time you've given me a compliment.

I never get one, says Terence. I'm coming with you.

Idiot, says Baby Pierre, you won't get one going with Kong.

Okay, says Terence. How do I get one?

You do something nice, says Baby Pierre, and then someone thanks you.

No one thanked you, says Terence.

It's true, and Baby Pierre can't refute it.


No comments: