Sunday, March 26, 2017

Advantage Of A Liberal Education

Terence is hauled on board first. Then Nose, who is dead to all appearances.

This could go either way.

Either: Nose is dead.

Or: Nose isn't.

But if she isn't, we must have a reason.

Gaius is calling down to Stede Bonnet, who is still in the deck chair.

There's a sea snake beside you. Do you have an eel trap on board?

Of course I don't have an eel trap, snaps Stede Bonnet. Haul me up, will you.

No, wait down there, says Gaius. Griff, take the rope.

Gaius shimmies down the rope to the deck chair.

It creaks and dips under the water, because Stede is still in it.

Go on up, Captain, says Gaius. I'll parley with the sea snake.

The sea snake can't believe it. As if!

It takes a deep breath, ready to plunge into the depths of the Deep Water Harbour.

Wait! says Gaius. Do you know the Barbados racer?

As it happens the sea snake does know the Barbados racer.

It pauses.

Meanwhile on the deck of the Revenge, Nose lies, inert and drying.

A bubble appears at the end of her nose.

Then another.

Yes, she has a long nose, and air was trapped in it.

That's a good enough reason.

My blood sister! says Terence.

Blurp! Nose vomits up a yellow stream of salt water.

Did I save you? asks Nose.

No, says Terence. I saved you.

But I saw you fall in, says Nose. And I dived in to save you.

A parrot wouldn't do that, says Terence. You must have got pushed.

I'm not a parrot, says Nose. I resign.

Pity, says Stede Bonnet. I have a position....and you would be perfect. You are bold, yet obedient, and you wear pirate pantaloons.

What would I have to do? asks Nose. This is tempting.

Just be yourself, says Stede Bonnet.

Bravo, says Kobo. Captain, you have a good side as well as a dark side.

The advantage of a liberal education, madam, answers Stede Bonnet.

What about me? asks Terence. I'm left with no parrot.

Gaius climbs over the side, without the sea snake.

No luck? asks Griff.

Yes and no, says Gaius. It knows something, I'm sure of it. But it turned tail and vanished.

Hungry, says Captain Stede Bonnet.

Possibly, says Gaius. Perhaps we could tempt it with food. Let me see ....what do they favour?

Fish eggs, says Griff. Crustaceans.

I'd go with the fish eggs, says Ageless,

It happens to be lunch time, says Stede Bonnet. Nose, go down to the galley and see what's on offer.

Aye aye, Captain, says Nose.

She follows her nose to the galley whence a tantalising smell of cornmeal and fried flying fish arises...

No comments: