Saturday, March 4, 2017

Unspecified Misbehaviours

Griff launches into part two of his lecture.

And as for Saint Joseph, he is a man who loves nature, says Griff.

He isn't, says Terence. He hates me,

Being formed of cement, you are not strictly part of nature, says Griff.

I win, says Terence. That means I can say what I like.

Does it? asks Baby Pierre.

No, says Griff. It means he must be defeated.

Hear that? says Baby Pierre. You must be defeated.

I'm telling Grandpa, says Terence.

And what do you suppose he would say? says Griff grimly.

Terence has no idea what grandpa would say. Something about a meeting. But what if he asked him for something? A red drink. It's possible he might say yes.

Yes, says Terence.

Ha ha, laughs Baby Pierre. You just said that Grandpa would agree that you must be defeated.

Griff admires Baby Pierre's way of thinking.

He could never have come up with that. The unholy infant had replied Yes, which was the wrong answer. Yet Baby Pierre had managed to turn it to Griff's advantage.

He finds himself looking kindly at Baby Pierre.

What? says Baby Pierre, seeing Griff looking kindly.

I like your way of thinking, says Griff.

I don't, says Terence. Only Grandpa's. When are you going?

I'm not going, says Griff. Not till you are defeated.

Okay, I'm defeated, says Terence. Goodbye, loser.

Griff decides to retreat now. Would it be winning?

It's hard being a Reverend. And now here he is, about to return to Barbados, where his congregation rejected him for unspecified misbehaviours....

He returns to the kitchen.

Gaius is searching for pencils.

I may not come to Barbados, says Griff.

Nonsense says Gaius. You'll be invaluable. Not as invaluable as Arthur, but here's a test for you. Help me find a pencil.

Griff picks up a knife.

I did say a pencil, says Gaius.


No comments: