Saturday, March 11, 2017

E of the Devil

The plane is landing in LAX.

Gaius is wishing that for breakfast he'd just had the fruit plate.

Not the full American Wake Up breakfast: scrambled eggs, hash browns and grilled turkey ham.

He gathers his notes. Double drat! His back pack is stored in the overhead locker.

He feels in the pocket of his chinos. And draws out a thin yellow bag.

Griff is getting off before him, and being waved through, with Ageless.

Gaius is stopped by a Customs and Border Protection official.

Step aside buddy! You need to answer some questions! What's in the basket?

My parrot! says Terence.

Shut up kid, says the Customs and Border Protection official. That don't look like no parrot.

It's a specimen, says Gaius. A hybrid. I have the necessary papers.

Let's see 'em.

Papers that show who I am, and my reasons for travelling to Barbados.

You don't say.

The Customs and Border Protection official flicks through the papers.

Map of Barbados. What's that for?

Jupiter's chopsticks! says Gaius. I do have a map after all. It's for locational purposes.

Okay buddy, says the Customs and Border Protection official. Location of what exactly?

The Barbados racer, says Gaius. A snake, to the layman.

Don't be smart, Secundus, says the Customs and Border Protection official.

My name is Gaius Plinius Secundus, says Gaius. Secundus, meaning second, has no significance on it's own.

Hear that? says Terence. It doesn't mean anything if you come second.

Shut the kid up, says the Customs and Border official. Show me that yellow bag. What's the back to front E for?

E of the devil, says Terence.

Yeah? A Muslim code word more likely, says the official.

His hand hovers over his gun.

EL, with the E backwards. That could be a trigger.

REBEL Sports, says Gaius. It's where I bought my new head warmer.

Where is it?

I didn't think I would need it in Barbados.

Griff has turned back.

Is there a problem?

Step away, buddy!

I hope you have a good reason for detaining my colleague, says Griff.

Your colleague?

The well known natural historian, Pliny the Elder.

What the fuck? Pliny the Elder!

Indeed. This is he.

That's that beer they make here in Santa Rosa! Pliny the Elder. That's you?

Quite possibly, says Gaius. Or vice versa. To be honest, I'm feeling a little queasy.

It was that grilled turkey ham, says Griff. You shouldn't have had it.

Burrrp! Gaius burps up a smell of old turkey.

Best damn turkey ham in the country, says the Customs and Border official. Okay. Pass on through.

Thank you, officer, says Gaius. And good job for finding my map.

It's my pleasure, sir. Have a nice day, sir, says the Customs and Border Protection official


No comments: