Monday, March 6, 2017

The Perils Of Flying

We cannot take a knife on a plane, says Gaius. That is why I asked for a pencil.

Griff puts down the knife. He had picked it up inadvertently.

He looks for a pencil.

Arthur would have found a way to secrete a knife, says Gaius. But we need not try to emulate Arthur.

Griff looks in the pantry.

On a high shelf in a corner, is a zip top pencil case.

He lifts it down. Opens it. A smell of wood shavings drifts out.

Pencils, says Griff.

Excellent, says Gaius. Just drop the case into my back pack. Now what else do we.....?

Is the lobster coming with us to Barbados? asks Griff.

Ageless? He and Kobo have already left for the airport, says Gaius. An enterprising pair. Kobo wanted to go in a handbag, but, of course ....

You couldn't find a handbag, says Griff.

Ha ha, laughs Gaius. I don't own a handbag. But he couldn't carry her. So I lent them a thin plastic carry bag I had in the pantry.

Very good, says Griff, so we travel alone, you and I?

Not exactly, says Gaius. It seems I've been landed with Terence...

The unholy infant is coming? Griff can't believe it!

Whose is he? asks Griff.

Strictly speaking, no one's, says Gaius. No, I tell a lie. One could say he belongs to Sweezus.

Who is Sweezus? asks Griff.

Best I don't tell you, says Gaius. Let me just say, Terence fell from the Sagrada Familia into the arms of Sweezus and they are inseparable.

Inseparable, eh? says Griff. Where is this Sweezus?

Probably off surfing with Arthur, says Gaius. Or interviewing a philosopher. Or in a café, drinking that ridiculous cold drip coffee he favours.....

Inseparable, says Griff. I don't quite grasp it.

Perhaps it was not the right word, says Gaius. But Terence believes he will grow up to be Sweezus. Sweezus fears the same, and therefore tends to avoid him.

All right, says Griff. And the bandicoot?

Jumping Jupiter! says Gaius. I had forgotten her.

Griff envisions the party expanding in horrible ways.

........

Ageless has arrived at the airport, with Kobo in the thin plastic carry bag.

Ageless, dear? says Kobo.

Yes, my beloved? answers Ageless.

Why does everything seem yellow? Is it the sunshine? asks Kobo.

No, precious, says Ageless. It's not the sunshine. The bag you are inside is yellow.

Yellow, that's nice, says Kobo. Where did it come from?

Why are you asking me now? says Ageless. (They are boarding a flight to Sydney).

Lunch? smiles the Jetstar attendant.

Ageless slaps the bag carelessly, as you would, if it contained a sandwich.

Prick! mutters the sandwich.

No comments: