Monday, March 13, 2017

The Crow's Foot Matches The Fig Leaf

I'm surprised at you, owning that book, says Griff. By a Greek writer.

Hesiod has much to teach us, says Gaius.

About what? says Griff.

The gods and their motivations, how to live a life of honest husbandry, practical notions, says Gaius. I always carry it with me.

(He doesn't. Not always).

Kobo has opened the book in the middle, randomly, as one does in a book shop.

She reads: As soon as a crow's footprint is matched by the aspect of the leaves on the end of a fig branch, then the sea is suitable for embarcation.

Was he a sailor? she wonders. Whether he was or he wasn't, it is a wonderful piece of information. She turns to the beginning.

I want a book, says Terence.

Can you read? asks Nose.

No. You can read it to me, says Terence.

I can't, says Nose, because you haven't got one, but I can tell stories.

Tell me a story, says Terence.

He has picked a good parrot.

Okay, says Nose, who has never before told a story.

Once there was a boy.

What did he look like? asks Terence.

Like you, says Nose.

What do I look like? asks Terence.

Nose likes questions. They help you to spin out the story.

A dirty little boy, says Nose. With a claw instead of a finger. And he's trying to get another one, from his blood sister.

What does she look like ? asks Terence.

Wait, says Nose. I haven't finished with you yet.

The dirty little boy is wearing grey shorts, and a t-shirt that says I'm Not A Morning Person.

Wrong, says Terence. Double wrong! These shorts are gecko shorts.

I don't see any geckos, says Nose.

They wore off, says Terence. But that doesn't mean they aren't gecko shorts.

I don't see any geckos either, says Griff. Do you, Gaius?

No, says Gaius. I don't think those are your gecko shorts, Terence.

So I was right, says Nose. What was the other one?

This t-shirt says I'm a Morning Person, says Terence. And I am. So that proves it..

There is a Not in the sentence on the t-shirt, clear as daylight. Terence has not proved it..

But there's no telling Terence.

Can I get new shorts in Barbados? asks Terence.

No, says Gaius. Just be quiet and listen to the story.

Terence looks at Nose. HARD.

Nose gets it.

The little boy was travelling to Barbados with a scientist and a Reverend. They were talking about what they would do there.

What? asks Terence.

Look for the Barbados racer, says Nose.

And? asks Terence. Before that?

Before that, says Nose. They will buy some new shorts for Terence and his blood sister.

We both get new shorts, says Terence. I like this story.

And now, as  the crow's foot matches the fig leaf, it is time to fly to Miami.

So they get on the plane.


No comments: