Monday, March 27, 2017

Before His Back Legs Touch The Mouth

On board the Revenge, the guests are served luncheon by Nose, the ship's parrot.

Fried flying fish and a creamy blend of okra and cornmeal.

Our national dish, says the captain. We call it coucou.

Very filling, says Griff. I remember it from the old days.

You've been to Barbados before? asks Stede Bonnet.

Yes, says Griff. Many years ago. In fact, I discovered the grapefruit.

I somehow doubt that, says the captain.

Then let's say, I took the first grapefruit back home to London, says Griff.

But what were you doing in Barbados? asks Stede, wiping coucou from his chin onto his deck chair.

I was assigned to Saint Lucy's parish, says Griff. For a short time, and then..... ahem....something happened and I returned, with the grapefruit......first and foremost I am a naturalist, like Gaius. We are working together.

But your quest has been unproductive, observes the Captain.

Unfortunately yes, says Gaius, but we shall not give in. Perhaps another sortie down the rope after lunch would be in order...

Kobo envisages an interminable afternoon of further non-production.

She sighs.

There are several crumbs of fried flying fish, on the floor beside Kobo.

Ageless, says Kobo. See these crumbs.

I see them, beloved, says Ageless.

Carry me to to the side, with the crumbs, says Kobo.

Clik,,,clik,,,, says Ageless, grasping the crumbs, and his beloved.

Drop the crumbs overboard, says Kobo.

Ageless drops the crumbs overboard.

What is in your mind, my enigmatic cream bun? asks Ageless.

Nothing, says Kobo. Well... not totally nothing.

Not nothing, says Ageless.

The sea snake, says Kobo. Tonight's the beach party.

Beach party, says Ageless. Sea snake. What is the connection?

Look down, says Kobo. Is there a sea snake?

There is, says Ageless. I'm grateful that I'm nowhere near it.

Is the rope there?

Yes, my precious fish cake. The rope is right here.

Carry me down it. I want to speak to the sea snake, before the crumbs are all eaten.

Ageless can't deny her. Not when she's so damp and creamy.

He tenderly carries her down. Stops before his back legs touch the mouth of the sea snake.

Sea snake! says Kobo. Do you see me?

I see you, says the sea snake. You are the most beautiful fossilised clam I have seen in my life. Jump in, pretty.

First, I have a question, says Kobo.

Like in the fairy tales, says the sea snake. Fire away, princess.

The Tan Ground Snake, says Kobo. Where does she reside now? I have a gift for her.

O tricky! Tan Ground Snake is another name for the Barbados racer.

Is it chocolate? asks the sea snake (hooked already).

The most delicious chocolate, says Kobo.

She lives on Gun Hill, says the sea snake. Under the lion.

Thank you, dear sea snake, says Kobo.

Now will you come in? asks the sea snake.

No she will NOT! growls Ageless, rapidly shinning up the rope with Kobo, and the valuable information.


No comments: