Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Consequences Not Warnings

What is it? asks Terence.

Red droplets, says the Magpie. Probably a warning.

Terence thinks about warnings, of which he's had many.

None of them looked like red droplets.

Most of them looked like a hand.

The hand of Saint Joseph, raising a hammer in anger.

The long fingers of the Virgin, tapping crossly: Last chance, baby .... three... two... one...

Red droplets are something that drip from the sad eyes of icons, or from Arthur's knees.

Consequences, not warnings....

But the Magpie is flying back to the entrance of the Big Banana, where Farky is waiting.

So Terence follows.

That, says the Magpie, was the freakiest thing I've ever seen in my life.

You should have come with us, says Terence.

Someone had to stay here, says Farky. Someone who could see what was going to happen.

What did happen? asks the Magpie.

We saw red droplets glowing at the end. It was a warning, says Terence.

That's what happened, says Farky.

But did you know that before? asks the Magpie.

Yes, says Farky. My teeth did.

Now what? says Terence.

Go back to the Planto, says Farky.

I suggest we wait here, says the Magpie. Unni and Lulu will come.

You don't know that, says Farky.

Farky can go back, says Terence. We'll wait here.

Okay, says Farky.

Farky runs back to the Planto.

.......

Terence sits at the top of the steps with the Magpie.

Ginger plants and aloes rustle. The night is dark. The scent of banana wafts in and out of their nostrils.

He couldn't talk when I met him, says the Magpie.

Who? Farky? asks Terence.

Yes, Farky, says the Magpie. There are things I would have asked him.

What? asks Terence.

His name, how he got it, says the Magpie.

I know, says Terence.

Silence.

You know that's what I would have asked him, or how he got it? says the Magpie.

Yes, says Terence.

WHAT! says the Magpie, causing a night mouse to scuttle.

Some people on the beach lost him and he ran up to Sweezus. He was called Farquar, says Terence.

Oh, says the Magpie. Farquar. He's lucky, having a name.

Don't you have one? asks Terence.

I'll get one, says the Magpie, when I can recognise myself in a mirror.

Was that a mirror at the end of the Big Banana? asks Terence.

No, says the Magpie. With the benefit of hindsight, I reckon it must have been a fridge.


No comments: