Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Benefits Of Caution

Terence stomps down the steps from the Elephant Rock lookout.

He reaches the Mini just as Barney is getting out.

Barney leans in again to kiss Unni.

Cer-lick! says Terence.

What's that? asks Barney.

My stupid camera, says Terence.

It didn't sound like a camera, says Barney.

Mine doesn't, says Terence. But I got a photo of you kissing Unni.

You only got one of his arse, says the Magpie.

What do you know? says Terence. It's my camera.

Let's see, says Farky, sticking his head out of the back window,

You don't SEE, says Terence. You listen.

Awesome camera, says Barney. No picture. You listen.

Yes, agrees Unni. It'd make a cool app. I might give it a go.

You develop apps? says Barney. Got any others?

Decision dice app, says Unni. Helps you to make a decision. Want to try it?

Yeah, says Barney. I'm trying to decide if I should ask you to stay in Corrumbin.

Really? says Unni. Okay.

I haven't decided to ask you, says Barney.

I know, says Unni. I meant okay you can try my app. Here, press Q, and you get a random one of six ways to consider the question.

Barney presses Q. The dice rolls and stops. The face shows CAUTION.

Caution, says Barney. Okay. Wanna stay till lunch time? We could eat here at the Surf Club.

Sure, say Unni. I'll just make a phone call.

She calls Gaius.

Yes? says Gaius. Unni! When will you get here?

I'll be in Moreton Bay by mid afternoon, says Unni.

I was expecting you last night, says Gaius. Saint Roley and I stayed out in the wetlands until well after midnight. Looking for half molluscs. It was most peculiar. He found several, but I found not a single one.

Wow, says Unni. That is peculiar. What are you doing this morning?

Meeting with the Mayor, says Gaius. I had hoped you would be here.

Well.... says Unni. I suppose....

Not you so much, says Gaius, but Arthur is useful in such situations......

Oh is he? says Unni. Sorry to have to tell you but Arthur's not with me. Only Terence and Farky. Plus my Magpie.

Jumping Jupiter! says Gaius. Then you needn't hurry. I'll see you whenever I see you.

Fine by me, says Unni.

Are we staying? asks Terence.

Till after lunch, says Unni. Maybe longer.

No comments: