Saturday, December 2, 2017

Okay. Have It!

Gaius and Terence have stayed up all night, mending the poodle with fish glue.

It's like a jigsaw.

The flower pattern on the shoulder is helpful, says Gaius. The body is coming along nicely

Terence kisses the head.

That's sweet, Terence, says Belle.

She checks the time on her phone.

Yikes! We need to get going! Wake up, Sweezie! Arthur!

They wake up. They were only half asleep anyway, thanks to the fish glue.

Saint Roley is fluttering about. Where's my parrot passport?

I've got it, says Belle. Now, who wants to pop down and say goodbye to Baldy?

Ah, says Gaius. Whoever's going, would they mind retrieving my beetle blood sample tissue? I was planning to show it to Simone, and I took it out of my back pack but she would keep on talking so I put it down on the coffee table, but failed to remember to pick it up as I was leaving.

Gaius! says Belle. It's a bloody tissue. How will that look to Simone! I'll go. Coming Terence?

Yes, says Terence. And I'm bringing my head.

I'll come too, says Saint Roley.

Belle knocks on the door of number 27. Simone opens.

Belle! says Simone. Come in. Baldy! Terence is here!

Baldy comes running. And stops.

Terence is holding the smiling head of the poodle. It must be a present.

Baldy holds out his arms for the present.

He's not dead, says Terence. He's getting mended.

I don't mind. I'll just have the head, says Baldy. You're my BEST cousin. You knew I didn't mean it.

Mean what? asks Terence.

That I didn't want it because it would make me sad, says Baldy. I do want it. It will remind me of our mission.

Well, says Terence, we really only came here to get Gaius's tissue.

Simone is getting Belle a glass of fresh orange juice.

Belle is looking around the room for Gaius's tissue.

How about you boys? says Simone. I have some cranberry cordial somewhere.

Terence and Baldy are negotiating poodle parts, and not listening.

Yes, says Belle. That's what they would like.

Saint Roley has spied a crumpled tissue under the coffee table.

He dives under, and draws it out with his beak.

Belle sees it, and is about to pick it up when Simone grabs it.

Oh how disgusting. says Simone. I'll get rid of it.

She runs to the bathroom and flushes the tissue down the toilet.

So much for that. Perhaps it was Gaius's tissue. Perhaps it wasn't. Belle doesn't feel like pursuing it now.

All right, says Terence. You can have the body. I'll have the head.

I want the head, says Baldy. It's always smiling.

At me, says Terence. He turns the head slightly.

Say goodbye boys, says Belle. You may not see one another for ages.

We haven't finished our drinks, says Terence.

Hurry, says Belle. We're catching the metro to the airport.

That will take forever, says Simone. Take the shuttle.

No kidding, says Belle. There's a shuttle?

Yes, from the Mistral direct to the airport, says Simone.

Great, says Belle. I'll check it out. Okay boys. This it it.

Goodbye cousin who I thought was the best cousin ever, but he wasn't, says Baldy.

OKAY! says Terence. Have it!

So Baldy gets the poodle head to help him remember that Terence was the best cousin ever.

No comments: