Sunday, September 9, 2018

I Lose Everything

The truck speeds towards town.

You scientists? asks the ranger.

I am a natural historian, says Gaius. My companion here is Alexander von Humboldt, naturalist, geographer and explorer.

Roderick Coconut, says the ranger. Traditional owner, land management and rehabilitation team member with Rio Tinto.

Ah just the man! says Gaius We are here to look for examples of the new species of bandy bandy.

Already been done, says Roderick Coconut. There were these scientist fellows just recently...

We know, says Gaius. I was hoping....

Freek Vonk, says Roderick Coconut. That was one of them. Snake man. Funny name, eh?

Gaius agrees it is funny.

Any idea where they located the new species? asks Humboldt.

Not really, says Roderick Coconut. And who's the little fellow?

Me, says Terence. I'm on the team. I've got snake shorts.

Roderick Coconut admires the snake shorts.

And a magic bracelet, adds Terence.

Where is it? asks Roderick Coconut.

Terence thought he had it, but he hasn't.

Wah! says Terence. I lose EVERYTHING!

It'll be somewhere, says Gaius. Ah, is this Weipa?

Sure is, says Roderick Coconut. I'll drop you at the bike shop.

Excellent, says Gaius.

Enjoy your dinner, says Roderick Coconut. Nothing better than a freshly cooked lobster.

He is not dinner, says Gaius. Ageless is a team member. As are these ladies.

He need not have bothered to mention the ladies.

Kobo and Pinky are deeply involved in discussing Dora Maar and Picasso.

Apologies, says Roderick Coconut. Well, come and see me when you get settled. Someone on the team might remember where they found that new bandy bandy.

Thank you, says Gaius.

Roderick drives off, leaving them all in front of the bike shop.

Gaius and Humboldt hire bikes, each with a handlebar basket.

And ride off to look for the Weipa Caravan and Camping Ground.

Terence is in Gaius's basket, keeping a lookout for bandy bandies and parrots.

Ageless is in Humboldt's basket with his red knitted hat pulled down low to avoid hearing the following discussion between Kobo and Pinky:

Kobo: And Picasso watched Dora Maar play the knife game.

Pinky: Can we play the knife game?

Kobo: She often stabbed her own fingers.

Pinky: I wouldn't care!

Kobo: You are so uninhibited!

Pinky: You taught me.

Kobo: I have more to teach you. Together we'll run on the sand.....

No comments: