Saturday, September 22, 2018

Remember Me But O!

When Gaius and Humboldt arrive at Nanum beach, only Ageless remains there.

Ageless looks green.

The sand is all scrambled around him, and features small chunky red lumps.

What happened? asks Humboldt. Where are the others?

Rocky Point, says Ageless. I couldn't. I give up. Turn me over.

We'll do no such thing, says Gaius. Was it the noni-juice?

Ych! replies Ageless.

I take it you tried it, says Gaius.

Kobo made me, says Ageless. No I lie, she encouraged me. No, come to think of it she tried to stop me.

I can imagine, says Gaius.

Which? asks Humboldt.

All three, says Gaius. That is the nature of Kobo.

Ageless groans.

I thought, without Pinky, she would return to me. She wished to know how the noni juice tasted. I indulged her. But she turned it against me.

And how did it taste? asks Humboldt. Like blue cheese and mustard?

Wooooorse! says Ageless. Bitter and medicinal. Terence liked it.

Did he taste it? asks Gaius.

He drank the rest of the bottle before Frances could stop him, says Ageless. It was red, see.

Tch! says Gaius. I suppose we'd better go to Rocky Point. Where is it?

That way, says Ageless. Wait. I wish to send a message to my dear little cream puff.

Who is.......? begins Humboldt.

Kobo, says Gaius.  Ageless is fond of her.

Yes, but cream puff? says Humboldt. I've felt her. She's hard.

Ageless is feeling too nauseous to take offence at this insult to his cream puff.

Gaius takes out a pencil, and notepad.

Ageless dictates:

remember me my beloved but o forget my fate

Any commas? asks Gaius.

Ageless shakes his head. No, no commas.

That's very good, says Humboldt. Reminds me of Dido's lament.

It is Dido's lament, says Ageless. If that doesn't work on Madame Pretentious, I don't know what will.

Very well, says Gaius. I take it you're staying?

I'm staying, says Ageless. I'll just lie here in this stinking sand and languish.

Your choice, says Gaius. Why did they go to Rocky Point by the way? Any reason?

Terence met an oystercatcher who told him he'd seen a comb crested jacana, says Ageless.

Funny, says Gaius.

Why funny? asks Humboldt.

Their habitat is freshwater wetlands, says Gaius.

Perhaps it was lost or in transit, suggests Humboldt.

Indeed, says Gaius. Or perhaps the oystercatcher was mistaken.

We won't know unless we go there, says Humboldt.

Exactly, says Gaius,

They go, leaving Ageless to languish.


No comments: