Saturday, June 15, 2019

Chased With Sharp Sticks

I'm not busy, says Sprocket. I could fit the Tour de France in.

Great, says Arthur, as though everything is sorted.

Shouldn't you call Sweezus and okay it with him? asks Elodie.

Arthur thinks it's a good suggestion. He calls Sweezus.

Arthur! What's up?

Are we still short one rider? asks Arthur.

Yep, says Sweezus. Pablo can't come.

There's this guy, says Arthur. He's an artist, and he's skinny.

Yeah? says Sweezus. Can he ride?

Arthur thinks there's no harm in saying yes to this question.

Yes, says Arthur.

Okay, says Sweezus. Get him to send me a video. Then I'll decide.

He's working on one at the moment, says Arthur. For the Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts.

Cool, says Sweezus. He can send me that, as long as there's footage of him riding a bicycle in it.

There will be, says Arthur. So how's things?

Average, says Sweezus. The boss's got Nietzsche in the office. I'm supposed to be interviewing him.
I don't know whether to mention you know what or pretend it didn't happen.

Pretend it didn't happen, says Arthur. Let him move on.

Thanks buddy, says Sweezus. You're a good mate. Yeah, let him mention it if he wants to.

Let him, says Arthur.

He tries to remember what it was.

When are you getting back? asks Sweezus.

Late tomorrow, says Arthur. Or thereabouts.

Awesome, says Sweezus. We're getting new outfits. So you reckon Sprocket is skinny?

Fairly skinny, says Arthur. Got to go. Gaius just handed me a spider.

Freak me out! says Sweezus. Glad it's you and not me. See ya!

The call ends.

It's a dead spider, not one of the runaways. Arthur rolls it between two of his fingers.

Am I in? asks Sprocket.

Yes, says Arthur. But first he wants to see a video. You can send him the doco.

My doco? asks Sprocket. Why?

It'll impress him, says Arthur. You can tack on a sequence of you climbing and sprinting.

There's no bike here, says Sprocket. Mine's back in Perth.

So we'd better get going tonight, says Arthur.

Ai! Shu doesn't want his last night with Arthur to be aborted.

There's a fold-up bicycle in the camper, says Shu. I'll get it.

A fold-up! says Arthur.

That'll be good, says Sprocket. I can practise my moves on it. Set the scenes up, do the blocking....

I'll assist you, says Shu. Would it help if someone chased you?

Uh? says Sprocket.

With sharp sticks? says Shu.


No comments: