Sunday, June 2, 2019

No One Likes Helping

Lavender is now under the tin, with the female spiders.

It's dark and smelly.

It occurs to her that she has not made adequate provision should she wish to retreat.

There should be some sort of rope, or twisted bandage.

Elodie could have tied it round her, and could use it to pull her out.

But it's too late to think of that now.

The female spiders have gathered around her.

She can feel their slow breaths, and their tickling whiskers.

She can't see their round eyes.

Speak, Lavender.

Remember me? says Lavender.

Fer-hoo. (We do)

Would you guys like an air hole? asks Lavender.

Fer-hoo. (We would like an airhole)

This is going well, but Lavender doesn't know it.

She continues.

You can have an air hole if you promise not to escape.

Ferhoo. (We promise)

Speak English, says Lavender. I don't understand you.

We don't understand YOU, says a female spider. First you catch us, and then you release us and then you put us under a tin. Then you come in and offer us an air hole if we promise not to escape from it. If that's not crazy, what is?

I was just helping, says Lavender. I like helping.

We don't believe you, says another female spider. No one likes helping. What's your real motive?

To be better than Baby Pierre, says Lavender. I'm braver, and smarter but everyone thinks he's the brave smart one. He catches buses. He rides bikes. He causes accidents on purpose. But I've been into a Hell Hole.

It's hardly a hell hole, says a third female spider. It's just a stinky old upturned tin.

A REAL Hell Hole, says Lavender. I had a twisted bandage tied round me. I was lowered in. I met Pluto.

The female spiders have all heard of Pluto.

What did he say?

He said Have you seen my wifey? says Lavender. He said he missed her.

Hah! says a fourth female spider.

Hah! say a few of the others.

They are thinking the same thing.

What sort of god calls his wife wifey?

He was scary, says Lavender. There were fumes. It was scarier than this. But this time I don't have a bandage tied round me to escape with. If I had, I could tug on it, and Elodie would lift up the tin and pull me out quickly.

So how do you plan to get out? asks the first female spider. Did you not prearrange anything? How were you going to let Elodie know if we agree to an air hole?

Lavender realises that she has acted rashly. And Elodie has let her.

You could bang on the tin, says the second (or third) female spider.

Do you agree to the airhole? asks Lavender.

Yes, say all twenty female spiders. All this talk about Pluto has used up a great deal of air.

Bang! Bang! Lavender bangs on the tin. Elodie lifts a corner.

It's not the corner Lavender is expecting.

The female spiders could easily run out while Lavender locates the right corner.

But they do not. They respect her. She once stood up to Pluto.

No comments: