Monday, June 17, 2019

Cold On Her Own

It's time to turn in.

What are the sleeping arrangements? asks Gaius.

I'll sleep in the HiLux, says Arthur.

Me too, says Sprocket.

Arthur can hardly say no. It's Sprocket's Hilux.

At least, it belongs to his mother.

Shu looks disappointed.

There's plenty of room in the rooftop tent on the camper, says Shu.

I'll sleep up there with you, says Gaius. That means Elodie can have the inside of the camper.

Lovely, says Elodie. But I don't mind sharing.

You'll be sharing with Baby Pierre and Lavender, says Gaius. I'll take Ar-Lu-Lun.

Bye, says Raoul. I'm walking back to dad's campsite.

On your own? says Elodie. I'll go with you.

You don't need to, says Raoul. I'm not scared.

I know, says Elodie. But it's nice to have company.

She and Raoul walk off together.

Gaius clambers into the rooftop tent. Shu hands him Ar-Lu-Lun in the jar.

I'll be up soon, says Shu.

Nighty-night, says Gaius. A good day, over all.

Not for most of my cohort, thinks Ar-Lu-Lun. But for me it has been.

Shu turns to Arthur.

You didn't applaud at the end of the video, says Shu.

I was struck with remorse, says Arthur.

Shu can't believe it. Remorse.

Will Arthur continue?

I've tended to avoid you, says Arthur.

You have, agrees Shu.

But now you're going back to China, says Arthur.

I am, says Shu. It seems there's nothing more for me here.

That's right, says Arthur. But since you're going, how would you like to spend this last night in the HiLux.

With you? asks Shu.

That depends, says Arthur. I need knee room. I might start off in the HiLux. Bring your sharp sticks.

Hey, says Sprocket. Do I get any input?

Sure, says Arthur. Whenever you like.

How will this end? The three of them in the back of the HiLux, with sticks.

........

Half an hour later. Elodie returns to the campsite.

It's silent.

She climbs into the camper. Gaius is there, his head on a cushion.

Shh! says Gaius. They're sleeping upstairs.

Not in the HiLux? asks Elodie.

They started off there, says Gaius. Then one by one they came here.

How come? asks Elodie.

All bleeding, says Gaius. It's those cursed sticks Shu insisted on bringing.

Are they okay though?

Of course they are, says Gaius. I hope you don't mind me sleeping down here. Up there it was getting top heavy.

No worries, says Elodie. But I might sleep in the HiLux.

If you do, take a sponge, says Gaius.

Elodie takes a sponge, and two cushions, and heads for the HiLux.

She wipes the floor clean of blood and lies down.

She gazes up at the stars.

It's cold on her own in the HiLux.


No comments: