Sunday, June 23, 2019

Floating Coconut Wisdom

Get him, says First Dirty.

Second Dirty had been about to jump in.

And so the course of history is decided.

Elodie goes back to the camper, for the tin and something to use as a scoop.

Finding nothing better, she uses the tin lid.

Bloop ~~~bye~~~, says the thrombolite closest to Mouldy.

Mouldy rises.

Mouldy now lies in the tin.

Mouldy, says First Dirty. Why do you look so pale?

Mouldy is silent.

Mouldy, says Second Dirty, I was going to jump into the water and join you.

Why didn't you? asks Mouldy.

Was it good? asks Second Dirty.

Good is not a word we use under the water, says Mouldy. We lie. Bits of coconut float by. Sometimes we're lucky.

So you use the word lucky, says Elodie.

Mouldy ignores her.

She places the tin on the back seat of the camper. Lavender is there.

Gaius starts the engine. He wants to get to Perth quickly.

They move forward, in a northerly direction.

Lavender can't see into the tin, even with the lid off. She peers in through the air hole.

Hey! says Lavender. How come you're all here?

My decision, says First Dirty. I asked Elodie to get him.

Yes, says Second Dirty. His decision. I was about to jump in. I would have spent the rest of my life with the thrombolites, next to my friend.

Not this friend, says First Dirty.

That's why I didn't, says Second Dirty.

And so fate intervened, says Mouldy. I can't say I was happy.

Because you don't use words like happy, says First Dirty. I respect that. I know that you've changed.

He's got wisdom, says Second Dirty. Haven't you Mouldy?

Mouldy is starting to think that he has.

After all he was down there with the thrombolites for an indeterminate period. He must have learned something. Not just the floating coconut thing, that was silly. What has he learned? Patience....paced blooping?

I've got wisdom. I know the future, says Lavender.

She doesn't , says First Dirty.

I do, says Lavender. Want to hear it?

Most people do want to hear it.

They do.

We're going to Perth, says Lavender. And then we'll fly to Adelaide, with everyone. But not Shu. Then we're all going to Brussels.

That's your future, says First Dirty. What's ours?

Together forever, says Lavender. Under the stinky tree opposite Bailey's Motel. That's your future. Are you sad?

The Dirties and Mouldy have to think about this for a moment.

Back to where Baby Pierre found them.

The dangerous park.

They are sad.

No comments: