Monday, June 24, 2019

The Sentient Pebble

Meanwhile Arthur, Sprocket and Shu have arrived at the Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts.

Sprocket parks the HiLux, and they all go inside.

Shu carries Ar-Lu-Lun in the glass jar. Baby Pierre follows, on his tiny bicycle.

Sprocket barges into the office of his mother Grace Swan without knocking.

Sprocky! says Grace. I'm just in a meeting. Why do you have a gold question mark painted on your forehead? So that's where Cassils' gold paint went......

Sprocket backs out into the corridor.

She's in a meeting, says Sprocket.

Grace appears at the door.

Come back, says Grace. I've cancelled the meeting.

The artist with whom she was meeting walks out of the office, giving Sprocket a glare.

Sprocket re enters the office, with Arthur and Shu and Ar-Lu-Lun, still in the glass jar.

Well, says Grace. How was it? I see you found a spider. Is that all?

No way ma, says Sprocket. I've got heaps of good stuff. It's all here on my phone. Arthur's helping me put it together.

Well done, dear, says Grace. I'd like to see what you have. But first, would you like me to get you some turps?

She doesn't wait for an answer.

It's not that she doesn't like Sprocket painting his face.

But she believes that the paint has been stolen from a departed guest artist.

Which is not a good look for the PICA.

She heads for a store room, on the way passing Baby Pierre.

A pebble on a bicycle! Seems to be controlled remotely. The things they do now!

When she returns with the turps, Baby Pierre is in her office.

My goodness! Is it yours? she asks Shu.

Is what mine? asks Shu.

This pebble on a bicycle, says Grace. I must say it's ingenious.

This is Baby Pierre, says Shu. He is a colleague, and a sentient pebble.

Grace is entranced by the sentient pebble.

The sentient pebble is embarrassed.

Why is she so interested?

Lucky he's going to China.

Here, Sprock, says Grace. Wipe it off, dear.

No, ma, says Sprocket. It's part of my image. I'm going to Brussels.

Brussels? says Grace. What's on there?

Tour de France, says Arthur. Sprocket's our new team member.

Subject to approval, says Sprocket. My test video's tacked onto my doco. Want to see it?

I certainly do, says Grace. Who will be paying your expenses?

The doco should win an art prize, says Sprocket. Eventually.

Should it? asks Grace. Let me see.

Sprocket hands her his phone, ready for viewing. Press here, says Sprocket.

She presses.


No comments: