Monday, June 10, 2019

Whisked Away For His Views

Not to worry.

Gaius and Shu arrive at Markus's campsite.

They are invited to partake of baked beans.

Ar-Lu-Lun and first and second female spiders, (the lucky ones), converse through the glass jar.

There were twenty of us in the beginning, says first female spider.

That depends on which moment you choose as the beginning, says Ar-Lu-Lun.

Too philosophical, says second female spider. You know what we mean. Then there were five. But three of us made bad choices.

I know nothing of this, says Ar-Lu-Lun.

You know we arrived on a bicycle, says second female spider.

Baby Pierre's bicycle, says Ar-Lu-Lun. I know.

Where are they now? asks first female spider. Unless they were mortally injured, they ought to have got here.

Perhaps Baby Pierre knows, says Ar-Lu-Lun. Although I always say two female spiders is one too many.

We know why you were whisked away to this camp site, says first female spider. It was for exactly those views.

So why follow me? asks Ar-Lu-Lun.

On a whim, says second female spider. We decided to give you a second viewing.

Spare me, says Ar-Lu-Lun.

And now you are going to China, says first female spider.

AM I? says Ar-Lu-Lun. His round eyes grow even rounder.

We don't know for sure, says first female spider. But something's up. Gaius has brought that Chinese guy.

Oh, HIM! says Ar-Lu-Lun. He's just an old poet.

No, says first female spider. He knows about spiders. Listen.

They listen.

The humans are eating baked beans.

Shu is speaking.

Yes, says Shu. I am endlessly yearning to be in Changan. I may return soon to China.

Perhaps you could do some research for me while you are there, says Gaius.

Certainly, says Shu.

That doesn't prove anything, whispers Ar-Lu-Lun.

But before, whispers first female spider, he was talking about the high protein level in female spiders' milk.

Was he? asks Ar-Lu-Lun. I didn't hear that. Nor do I know if it's true.

Of course it's true! say both female spiders.

And it's true that Shu said it.

He heard it from Elodie, who'd read it.


No comments: